Many people have ben asking me if soy lecithin is Halal. also if doritos chips is Halal. I would appreciate it if you would reply to my message. Thanks...
In the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful
Assalaamu `alaykum waRahmatullahi Wabarakatuh
1) Lecithin itself is an emulsifier comprised of glycerol, two fatty acids, phosphoric acid and choline. It is extracted from egg yolks, soybeans or animal fats. (IFANCA)
Therefore, if lecithin is from egg yolks or plant sources, it will be permissible. If from animal sources, it will be impermissible.
Soya Lecithin is derived from soya, which is vegetable source, so that will be permissible.
2) We are unaware of the Halaal/Haraam status of Doritos products in the U.S. However, after looking at their website it seems as though most Doritos products contain porcine enzymes. Therefore, Doritos products there should be avoided. You may verify this with a reliable ‘Alim in your area.
And Allah knows best
Ml. Asif Umar,
Student Darul Iftaa
Checked and Approved by:
Mufti Ebrahim Desai
Darul Iftaa, Madrassah In'aamiyyah
Visit us at:
http://www.al-inaam.com [ Madrassah In’aamiyyah ]
http://www.askimam.org [ Darul Ifta - Madrassah In`aamiyyah ]
http://groups.google.com/group/shariahcompliant [Shariah Compliant Business Campaign]
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/shifaa [As-Shifaa Islamic Forum]
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ulama_sa [Ulama-SA Islamic Forum]
DISCLAIMER - Askimam.org questions
The Askimam.org Site answers issues pertaining to Shariah. Thereafter these questions and answers are placed for public view on www.askimam.org for educational purposes. However, many of these answers are unique to a particular scenario and can not be taken as a basis to establish a ruling in another situation or another environment. To ensure this Askimam.org will start to flag such questions. Previous questions on Askimam.org do not carry such cautionary message. Askimam.org bears no responsibility with regards to these questions being used out of their intended context.
· The Sharée ruling herein given is specifically based on the question posed and should be read in conjunction with the question.
· The Darul Ifta bears no responsibility to any party who may or may not act on this answer. The Darul Ifta being hereby exempted from loss or damage howsoever caused.
· This answer may not be used as evidence in any Court of Law without prior written consent of the Darul Ifta.