Answered Date: Jun 19,2004

Title: Cut hair???My hairs are very long, nearly up to my knees. I find it very difficult to cope with them.

Question

My hairs are very long, nearly up to my knees. I find it very difficult to cope with them. I have read your other fatwa?s and I understand thereof that it is not permissible to cut our hair. But in one of your fatwa?s it says; 'How long should a woman grow her hair'. The Fuqahaa have granted permission that if the hair of a woman grows beyond her back/hips then it will be permissible to trim the excess hair I would just like to clarify this. Does that mean I can cut the excess hair beyond my back?

Answer

The actual ruling is that it is not permissible for a woman to trim her hair at all except during haj or umra. However in cases where the hair has become very long and there is fear of it being infected with lice or becoming a blemish then some Fuqaha have granted permission for a woman to trim her hair until her hips. In a case of dire need, this could be practiced upon. (Fatawa rahimiyyah Vol.10 Pg.119)

and Allah Ta'ala Knows Best