Country: Canada
Date: 18th December 2002

smoking in bathroom halal? Marijuana halal for recreational purposes?

Question

Salaam my name is moonshine. I have a problem with smoking; I?m only 16yrs and smoke everyday. My mom gets mad so I now smoke in the bathroom so that she can?t find out I smoke, is this ok? I have tried quitting but society puts a great amount of pressure on me. Another question is marijuana halal? It will be legal here in Canada as its all ready widely available. Do you think muslims in canada are at a risk with marijuana being legalized for recreational use?

Answer

At the outset, we wish to state that it is reprehensible to smoke. According to many scholars, it is Haraam (strictly prohibited) as it is injurious to health. You should bring the courage and work towards quitting smoking by gradually reducing the number of cigarettes per day. There are also tablets and smoking patches available to assist you to quit smoking.%0D%0A%0D%0ARegard the anger of your mother as an aid to quit smoking. It is Fardh (compulsory) to please your mother. To displease her is a major sin. It is correct for your mother to be angry with you as she cannot bear to witness you harming yourself. Request her to assist you in giving up smoking. The pressure of her anger on you is therefore conducive to you giving up smoking. Look for other ways acceptable in Shari?ah to avent the social pressure. The ruling of Marijuana is the same as smoking.%0D%0A%0D%0AIt also leads to addiction and is a stepping stone for harder drugs. Dear brother, tell us where you reside in Canada and we shall assist you further depending on your location, Insha Allah. You are young and can make your life a meaningful and peaceful one. Don?t ruin your youth and future. Life is too precious to be wasted at anytime.%0D%0A%0D%0Aand Allah Ta'ala Knows Best%0D%0A%0D%0AMufti Ebrahim Desai