Title: I recently got admitted into medical school and I am looking to finance it. Is the army an option?

Question

Assalamualaikum, I have been accepted to medical school and I am looking for ways to finance it. The United States army has a program where they pay for medical school expenses but you have to serve the number of years you take their money by serving at an army hospital. For example, if you go to medical school for 4 years and the army pays for everything for 4 years, you have to serve in the army for 4 years. Is it acceptable to accept their money because I will be avoiding riba in the future as the medical school loans build up. There are no alternative means through which I am able to finance medical school and the debt is usually around $150 to $200,000. Also, with the army, I will not be in active duty, meaning I will not have to go to war with the soldiers and be a medic on the battle field. i will only be serving in one of the army hospitals and all of them are in the US except for one which is in Germany.

Answer

Since you will not be in active duty but merely serving in a military hospital, you may go for this option.

and Allah Ta'ala Knows Best

Mufti Muhammad Kadwa
FATWA DEPT.