Country: Canada
Date: 13th August 2002

Are coke and soft drinks haraam or mushkook(doubtful)? Please reply!

Question

I recently received a copy of Mujlisul Ulama 25 page document in english regarding their fatwa against comsumption of all coke and carbonated drinks due to the syrups being extracted with alcholic slovents. I read on your website other fatwas, but an still confused? Is it mushkook, halaal, haraam? are you a part of this Mujlesul Ulama? Do They have any email contact? I can also forward you the documents via email if necessary.

Answer

Principally, if the alcohol is extracted from grapes or dates it is not
permissible. Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) said, 'Khamr (wine) is
from these two trees, dates and grapes.' (Mishkãt p. 317).

Furthermore, Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) said, 'Alcohol itself
is prohibited and intoxication in every other beverage.' (Hidaaya vol. 4 p.
497).

In view of the abovementioned Hadith, since the alcohol in coke is from
ethanol which is fermented from sugar cane mollasses and does not
intoxicate, it is permissible. However, if one is doubtful, he may exercise
precaution and abstain.

and Allah Ta'ala Knows Best