Shaking hands during the Ebola plague and their attitude of socializing in the Covid-19 plague

Question

Muhtaram Mufti Ebrahim Desai Sahib

I came across this Fatwa of Taleemuddin. 

https://islamqa.org/hanafi/muftionline/96515

They say it is ok not to shake hands in the Ebola plague. I was surprised with this fatwa of not shaking hands during the Ebola plague and their attitude of socializing in this Covid-19 plague. I decided to refer the matter to Majlis to seek clarity. See the response of the Majlis:

Assalamaulaikum

Respected Sheikh Mufti Ahmed Sadiq Desai Saheb

I hope this finds you in the best of health. Kindly advise on the following:

If there is a disease that spreads like a wild fire and it is noted that you can get it through body or hand contact. If there is such a dangerous disease especially like the current disease that has caused havoc and panic all over the world. Should we stop shaking hands with our family people in spite of it being a great Sunnah of our Nabi Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam or should we go ahead and shake hands? What if someone says that if you know that a certain person has the contagious sickness, then there is no harm in not shaking his hands? What is the position of such a Mufti’s Imaan?

REPLY FROM MAJLIS:

ASSALAMU ALAIKUM

29 Jamaadiyul Ula 1442 (13 January 2021)

Respected Brother,

Your e-mail refers.

Apparently you have not read a single of the numerous articles and booklets which we have published on the corona disease, the kufr protocols and the haraam attitudes of today’s ‘muslims’.  Please check our website and study the mass of material we have published on this contagion issue.

Regardless of what the atheists say, it is today compulsory to shake hands with even a sickly person. Prior to this covid conspiracy, shaking hands was a Sunnat act. But today it is Waajib (compulsory).

Was-salaam

A.S.Desai

Mujlisul Ulama of S.A.

I referred to the Majlis to get clarity. I am now more confused as Majlis states; it is now wajib to shake hands.

Furthermore, if shaking hands is a Sunnah and Taleemuddin advised that Sunnah can be left out in the Ebola plague, what is the difference between that Sunnah of shaking hands and the Sunnah of the sufuf. What is the cut out point of socializing? Not shaking hands or not standing together in the sufuf? If shaking hands in Ebola can be left out, why cant the joining of sufoof be left out in Covid 19?

Am I missing out something in understanding the issue?

Answer

At the outset, you should have referred your confusion to Taleemuddeen directly to seek clarity on the issue of shaking hands in the Ebola plague and their attitude of socializing in Covid-19.

Nevertheless, I concur with the fatwa of Taleemuddeen on the Ebola issue of not shaking hands.

I disagree with the Majlis on regarding anyone not shaking hands during an epidemic as an Atheist. All Ulama, including Ulama of Taleemuddeen should be respected. It is incorrect to refer to Ulama with derogative terms and titles.

I am not in a position to comment on Taleemuddeen’s attitude of socializing during Covid-19. I advise you to refer your query to Taleemuddeen and seek clarity on the difference between the attitude in the Ebola plague and the attitude in Covid-19.

I maintain the same spirit of taking precaution during the Ebola plague even in Covid-19 to avoid infection. In general, I tolerate and respect legitimate differences of opinion with decorum and honour.