Should I visit my sick father during the pandemic?

Question

Assalamualaikum Hazrat,

My father is critical in hospital and I am not able to visit him due to government restrictions as my business papers are in process and it may take a long time to get completed.

If I take the risq travel at this time, there is possibility of negative consequences to my health, wealth and time.

The pandemic has made the situation worst.

On one hand I am feeling frustrated to net be with my father and to make things worse some of my relatives and friends are telling me I should be with my father at this time.

I live around 8000 Kms away in another country.

My younger brother is with my father and many relatives are present to take care of him in everyway.

Should I travel at this time or should I not travel at this time?

Jazakallah Khair.

Answer

As-salāmu 'alaykum wa-rahmatullāhi wa-barakātuh.

We commend you for your desire and yearning to be with your father in such trying times. We make dua that Allah Taala heal your father and help you and your family have patience in such a challenging time.

The pandemic has brought upon us unprecedented challenges. The challenges we are facing are such that people in our lifetime has not seen it before.

We understand the love and wish for one to visit his ill father. It is a natural for a human being to have unconditional love for his father. 

Due to the unforeseen circumstances, traveling by plane has become difficult, if not impossible. 

Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said in the following Hadith:  

عجبا لأمر المؤمن كله خير وليس ذلك لأحد إلا للمؤمن إن أصابته سراء شكر فكان خيرا له وإن أصابته ضراء صبر فكان خيرا له (مسلم 2999) 

Translation: How astonishing is the matter of a believer. Everything is good for him and this is not for anyone except a believer. If good reaches him, he is grateful. And that is good for him. If harm afflicts him, he has patience, and that is good for him. 

Brother, your younger brother and other family members are with your father supporting him. You can make dua for your father and enquire from him about his health. 

When the pandemic restrictions eases and the borders open up, then you may visit your father.

In the meanwhile, you may offer all other support and assistance according to the best of our ability. 

And Allah Ta'āla Knows Best

Shakib Alam

Student - Darul Iftaa

Pennsylvania, USA