Perhaps, you now concede to the view of the Majlis. Kindly clarify your position to guide us.

Question

Assalamualikum

Mufti Ebrahim Desai Sahib

Last year you took out a fatwa explaining the issue of contagious diseases. 

I read the Majlis response on your position last year. This year we are witnessing a deadly strain of the virus. We did not see your response to Majlis. Perhaps, you now concede to the view of the Majlis. Kindly clarify your position to guide us.

Answer

Respected Brother,

I maintain my view on contagious diseases. This is also according to the view of Hadhrat Maulana Ashraf Ali Thanwi Rahimahullah. The detailed fatwa can be read here.

We had correspondence with the Majlis on the issue. We had decided at that point of time not to publish the correspondence. However, we take note of the confusion due to our silence. In order to clear the confusion, we are making our correspondence with Majlis public. The correspondence can be read here.

If Majlis would have continued correspondence, that would have provided us the academic opportunity to discuss further. It is unfortunate that the academic opportunity was turned down by the Majlis. 

We have also received a copy of a fatwa in which Majlis has stated that Maulana Ashraf Ali Thanwi Rahimahullah has erred in his understanding of contagious diseases. The Majlis’ fatwa can be read here.

It is noteworthy that in a recent article, Majlis states;

“The belief in contagion is Kufr and Haraam.”

In view of both articles, some people are questioning the Imaan of Hadhrat Maulana Ashraf Ali Thanwi Rahimahullah and our Akabireen [Pious Ancestors] who hold the similar views.

Regardless of what the Majlis thinks about the Imaan of Hadhrat Maulana Ashraf Ali Thanwi Rahimahullah, It is my firm belief that Hadhrat Hakeem-ul-Ummah Maulana Ashraf Ali Thanwi Rahimahullah was a Mujaddid [Reformer] and had a high level of Imaan. It is wrong to deduce from the Majlis’ statements that the Imaan of Hadhrat Maulana Ashraf Ali Thanwi Rahimahullah is questionable. 

We have learned Imaan from our Akabireen [Pious Ancestors] and we should maintain our trust in our Pious Ancestors.