Date: 12th November 2020

Can I read a portion of a Dua from the Hadith?

Question

Is one allowed to read only the second part of the dua performed by Umm Salamah (may Allaah be pleased with her)?

As we can see, Umm Salamah (may Allaah be pleased with her) narrated, “The Messenger of Allah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wa sallam) said: When one of you is afflicted with a calamity, he should say”:

‏{‏ إِنَّا لِلَّهِ وَإِنَّا إِلَيْهِ رَاجِعُونَ ‏}‏ اللَّهُمَّ عِنْدَكَ أَحْتَسِبُ مُصِيبَتِي فَآجِرْنِي فِيهَا وَأَبْدِلْ لِي خَيْرًا مِنْهَا

“We belong to Allah, and to Him we do return.” O Allah, I expect reward from Thee from this affliction, so give me reward for it, and give me a better compensation. [Sunan Abi Dawud , Kitaab al Janaa’iz, Hadeeth 3119]

My question is, can one read only the second part (O Allah, I expect reward from Thee from this affliction, so give me reward for it, and give me a better compensation) of the dua on a daily basis under all circumstances?

Answer

Yes, one may only read the second part of the Dua.

Hasan Ahmed Razzak

Student – Darul Iftaa

Paterson, New Jersey, USA

23-03-1442| 09-11-2020