Date: 15th September 2020

Am I obliged to pay back the money in question or not?

Question

Assalaam alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barkatuhu,

Dear Mufti sahab,

I always search my doubts in this website and gets the answers from previous questions. This times question is personnel. My younger sister claiming that when I required money for going abroad, I asked my father who in response told me that he had money saved for the marriege of this sister, so go and ask her.Thereby I asked and got her approval. Now after almost 15 years she want that money back that is equivalent to the amount of 1.5 Lakh INR as the prices of all the things has been drastically increased. I remember this instance but the amount I needed was 85,000 INR. My questions are:

1. Am I required to give back her that amount. As she is saying she doesnt need any favour instead want what she deserve get.

2.If I have to give her that amount what shall be the reference to calculate the equivalent amount and will it be equivalent to 150,000 or 85,000 INR.

Note:She is married for 6 yrs now. The marriege expences were taken care by me and my brother with our own will without any compulsion. I dont want to reduce that amount if in case I have to give her. My father is not in a state to confirm these things as he is suffering with memory loss. My mother expired this year, please pray for her maghfirah and for Jannatul firdous(please convey this request to Mufti Ibrahim Desai by taking her kunya Umme Mushtaq). I intent to pay her 1.5L  but I believe its not obligatory on me as she was not the owner of that moeney.

Jazak Allah Khair

Answer

Brother,

We are saddened to hear about the passing of your mother. We make Dua that Allah Taa’la grant her Maghfirah and Jannat ul Firdous. Ameen.

We also make Dua that Allah Taa’la grants your father courage to overcome the challenges of memory loss. Ameen

Brother, your father had told you to seek your sister’s approval as a kind gesture to her as he saved the money for her marriage. However, the money actually belonged to your father.

Therefore, the money that was used to fund your studies belonged to your father and not to your sister.

Accordingly, you are not required to pay the money back to your younger sister. You may explain this to your sister stating that this is the Shariah position.

Also, it is pleasing to note that you took care of her marriage expenses. You will be rewarded for providing financial assistance as well as maintaining family ties. This is a great deed in the sight of Allah Taa’la.

See the following Ahadith: 

قال النَّبِيِّ صلى الله عليه وسلم ‏:‏ ‏"‏الصدقة على المسكين صدقة، وعلى ذي الرحم ثنتان‏:‏ صدقة وصلة‏"‏‏ (سنن الترمذي 332) ‏

Translation: The Messenger of Allah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) mentioned: "Charity towards a poor person is charity, and charity towards a relative is both charity and maintaining the ties (of kinship)". (Tirmizi 332)

Nabi (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) has also mentioned,

مَنْ أَحَبَّ أَنْ يُبْسَطَ لَهُ فِي رِزْقِهِ، وَيُنْسَأَ لَهُ فِي أَثَرِهِ، فَلْيَصِلْ رَحِمَهُ(صحيح البخاري: 8/ 5)

Translation : “He who desires ample provisions and his life be prolonged, should maintain good ties with his blood relations”.(Sahih-Al-Bukhari:5/8)

عَنِ النَّبِيِّ صلى الله عليه وسلم قَالَ‏:‏ مَنْ أَنْفَقَ نَفَقَةً عَلَى أَهْلِهِ، وَهُوَ يَحْتَسِبُهَا، كَانَتْ لَهُ صَدَقَةً (الأدب المفرد 749)‏.

Translation: the The Messenger of Allah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) said, "When someone spends something on his family and reckons its reward to be with Allah, then it is Sadaqah for him." (Al-Adabul Mufrad 749)

Furthermore, you should enquire from your sister why she requires the money. If she is in need, you may help as you did before.

If you are financially able, you may gift her the money she is asking for. This will increase the love between the families and put an end to any disputes.

See the following narrations:

قَالَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ أَنَا زَعِيمٌ بِبَيْتٍ فِي رَبَضِ الْجَنَّةِ وَبَيْتٍ فِي وَسَطِ الْجَنَّةِ وَبَيْتٍ فِي أَعْلَى الْجَنَّةِ لِ مَنْ تَرَكَ الْمِرَاءَ وَإِنْ كَانَ مُحِقًّا وَتَرَكَ الْكَذِبَ وَإِنْ كَانَ مَازِحًا وَحَسُنَ خُلُقُهُ ( المعجم الكبير للطبراني:217)

Translation:  The Messenger of Allah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) said, “I guarantee a house on the outskirts of Paradise, a house in the middle of Paradise, and a house in the highest part of Paradise for one who gives up arguing even if he is right, who gives up lying even while joking, and who makes his character excellent.”

(  al-Mu’jam al-Kabīr 217)

تَصَافَحُوا يَذْهَبِ الْغِلُّ، وَتَهَادَوْا تَحَابُّوا، وَتَذْهَبِ الشَّحْنَاءُ"( موطأ مالك) " قَالَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ 

Translation: The messenger of Allah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) said: "Shake hands and resentfulness and bitterness will disappear. Give gifts to each other, you will love each other and enmity will disappear. " ( Mu'ata Malik 2/ 908)

Ahmad Patel

South Africa

مختصر القدوري (ص: 124)

الهبة: تصح بالإيجاب والقبول وتتم القبض فإذا قبض الموهوب له في المجلس بغير أمر الواهب جاز

وإن قبض بعد الافتراق لم تصح إلا أن يأذن له الواهب في القبض

كنز الدقائق (ص: 536)

هي تمليك العين بلا عوضٍ وتصحّ بإيجابٍ

الدر المختار شرح تنوير الأبصار وجامع البحار (ص: 560)

وجه المنا سبة ظاهر (هي) لغة: التفضيل على الغير ولو غير مال وشرعا: (تمليك العين مجانا) أي بلا عوض

(وشرائط صحتها في الواهب: العقل والبلوغ والملك) فلا تصح هبة صغير ورقيق ولو مكاتبا.

(و) شرائط صحتها (في الموهوب أن يكون مقبوضا غير مشاع مميزا غير مشغول) كما سيتضح.

(وركنها): هو (الايجاب والقبول) كما سيجئ.

(وحكمها: ثبوت الملك للموهوب له عير لازم) فله الرجوع والفسخ

اللباب في شرح الكتاب (2/ 171)

(الهبة) لغة: التبرع والتفضل بما ينفع الموهوب مطلقاً، وشرعا: تمليك عين بلا عوض، و (تصح بالإيجاب والقبول) ، لأنها عقد كسائر العقود، إلا أن الإيجاب من الواهب ركن، والقبول ليس بركن استحساناً، خلافا لزفر كما في الفيض، وفي الدرر: قال الإمام حميد الدين: ركن الهبة الإيجاب في حق الواهب، لأنه تبرع فيتم من جهة المتبرع، أما في حق الموهوب له فلا تتم إلا بالقبول اهـ. وفي الجوهرة: وإنما عبر هنا بتصح وفي البيع بينعقد لأن الهبة تتم بالإيجاب وحده، ولهذا لو حلف لا يهب فوهب ولم يقبل الموهوب له حنث، أما البيع فلا يتم إلا بهما جميعاً. اهـ.

ثم لا ينفذ ملك الموهوب له (وتتم) الهبة له إلا (بالقبض) الكامل الممكن في الموهوب، فالقبض الكامل في المنقول ما يناسبه، وكذا العقار كقبض المفتاح أو التخلية، وفيما يحتمل السمة بالقسمة، وفيما لا يحتملها بتبعية الكل، وتمامه في الدرر (فإن قبض الموهوب له) الهبة (في المجلس بغير أمر الواهب) ولم ينهه (جاز) استحساناً، لأن الإيجاب إذنٌ له بالقبض دلالة (وإن قبض بعد الافتراق لم تصح) الهبة؛ لأن القض في الهبة منزل منزلة القبول، والقبول مختص بالمجلس، فكذا ما هو بمنزلته بالأولى (إلا أن يأذن له الواهب في القبض) لأنه بمنزلة عقد مستأنف. قيدنا بعدم نهيه لأنه لو نهاه عن القبض لم يصح قبضه، سواء كان في المجلس أو بعده، لأن الصريح أقوى من الدلالة.

(وتنعقد الهبة بقوله: وهبت، ونحلت، وأعطيت) ، لأن الأول صريح في ذلك، والثاني والثالث مستعملان فيه (و) كذا (أطعمتك هذا الطعام) ، لأن الإطعام إذا أضيف إلى ما يطعم عينه يراد تمليك العين، بخلاف ما إذا قال

فتاوی عثمانية        ج 8 ص 4

ہبہ میں بحیثیت جو تین باتیں پائی جاتی ہیں: معطی کی طرف سے پیشکش،یعنی ایجاب،جس کو دیا جا رہا ہو اس کی طرف سے قبول اور قبضہ- ہبہ ان تین افعال سے مرکب ہوتا ہے