Date: 12th September 2020

Is it permissible to use leverage to trade?

Question

Salaam

I asked a question earlier but just need to change it a bit

I wanted to know if it is permissible to buy shares in the following way.

Example

I have a £100, I can buy shares for a 100 pound. If shares go up by 20 % then I will have £120

or I can put in £100 and broker will put in £400 for me making it a total of £500.

Now if shares go up by 20 %  it will give total of £600 if I close now I will receive £200 and £400 will go back to broker.

But if shares go down by 20 % I will lose all my £100 and it will automatically close and the £400 will go back to broker.

Broker makes his money by buying shares at a certain price and selling to me at a higher price. So the more shares he sells the more he makes, thats why he decides to put in the £400 

Please can you let me know if this kind of trading is allowed 

Answer

Trading with leverage

The concept you are referring to is called leverage. Generally, brokers treat the leverage as a loan and charge you interest on this amount. Accordingly, that is not permissible. Furthermore, the leverage offered by the broker cannot be regarded as a partnership as the broker will not be sharing in the profits of the trade nor will he be sharing in the losses.

Some brokers offer so-called ‘Islamic accounts’ where they waive off the interest charge. That does not make the deal Shariah compliant. The broker lends money with the condition and objective that you trade with him. This has been clearly prohibited in the hadith. See the following narration:

حَدَّثَنَا زُهَيْرُ بْنُ حَرْبٍ، حَدَّثَنَا إِسْمَاعِيلُ، عَنْ أَيُّوبَ، حَدَّثَنِي عَمْرُو بْنُ شُعَيْبٍ، حَدَّثَنِي أَبِي، عَنْ أَبِيهِ، عَنْ أَبِيهِ، حَتَّى ذَكَرَ عَبْدَ اللَّهِ بْنَ عَمْرٍو قَالَ قَالَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم ‏ "‏ لاَ يَحِلُّ سَلَفٌ وَبَيْعٌ وَلاَ شَرْطَانِ فِي بَيْعٍ وَلاَ رِبْحُ مَا لَمْ تَضْمَنْ وَلاَ بَيْعُ مَا لَيْسَ عِنْدَكَ ‏"‏

Translation: Abdullah bin Amr reported the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) as saying: The proviso of a loan combined with a sale is not allowable, nor two conditions relating to one transaction, nor profit arising from something which is not in one's charge, nor selling what is not in your possession.[i]

Therefore, using leverage and trading in this manner will not be permissible.

You may view a detailed answer regarding shares here: http://askimam.org/public/question_detail/46129

Zaakir Ismail

South Africa

[i] Sunan Abi Dawud 3504