Date: 29th June 2020

Woman feels different before Ruksati - What should be done?

Question

Asalam o alaikum sheikh

My question is about istakhara . My nikkah was done almost 2 years ago but ruksati aur moving in didn't happened yet due certain reason like my studies etc we set the date for ruksati and walima now that is 5 july now my wife said she did istakhara and it is not in favour of marriage.  She dont want to proceed due to this. I want to move ahead with completing commitment and marriage kindly guide us in this regard

Answer

We take note of the unfortunate change of heart of your wife to discontinue with the marriage. Brother, marriage and living together with ones wife is a huge step in ones life. If you have become aware that your wife does not want to continue the marriage, you should face reality and do not continue with the rukhsati. If your wife still decide to discontinue the marriage, the rukhsati and everything related to that will be futile.

We advise you discuss the issue with the senior members of your family and her family and to come to an amicable resolve. If it is decided to discontinue the marriage, then accept it as a decree of Allah Ta’ala. It is possible that is better for you. Allah Ta’ala says:  

{وَعَسَى أَنْ تَكْرَهُوا شَيْئًا وَهُوَ خَيْرٌ لَكُمْ وَعَسَى أَنْ تُحِبُّوا شَيْئًا وَهُوَ شَرٌّ لَكُمْ وَاللَّهُ يَعْلَمُ وَأَنْتُمْ لَا تَعْلَمُونَ} [البقرة: 216]

Translation: It may be that you may dislike something that is good for you and you may like something that is bad for you. Allah Ta’ala knows and you do not know.

And Allah Ta’ala Knows best

M. Akhtar

South Africa