Country: African Country

Teaching online with Zoom - Is this permissible?

Question

Assalamu alaykum

I teach Quran reading and Islamic studies at the local Muslim school, and recently we are switching to online teaching with Zoom etc.

My supervisor is pressuring us to record videos of ourselves in front of a whiteboard, teaching the concepts. These videos I might be able to manoeuvre around, by swapping lessons with a teacher so that she will have to do these and not myself…(she has no problem with making videos- maybe I will still get the sin of this?).

Second point : One thing I will not be able to avoid is recording my voice or using my voice in live lessons with students. I will request that students use headphones whenever a male is nearby, but there will be many students who will not follow this instruction or who’s headphones do not work etc. I will teach approx. 100 students this way, in video conferences of about 13. A good point is that this will be in work hours, so most fathers will be at work at this time, but I cannot account for the Baligh brothers of my students.

Can I please get your advice regarding the above- also I wear Niqaab so if I were to do it online my face would be covered.

Is it allowed to teach just through my voice even if there's a chance that there may be Na Mehram male nearby?

Jzk khayra

Answer

Sister, we thank you for your query and apologise for the belated response.

There are two parts to your query:

1.      Is the voice of a women Awrah?

2.      Can you teach by using videos?

Is the voice of a women Awrah?

Allah Almighty has created a natural attraction and charm in the voice of a female that plays a vital role in jolting and inducing the desire and passion of a man.

According to the preferred view in the Hanafi School, the voice of a woman is not considered to be part of her Awrah. However, if there is a fear of Fitnah, then the female should not raise her voice and the male should avoid listening to it. [1]

Consider the following Ayah:

يَا نِسَاء النَّبِيِّ لَسْتُنَّ كَأَحَدٍ مِّنَ النِّسَاء إِنِ اتَّقَيْتُنَّ فَلَا تَخْضَعْنَ بِالْقَوْلِ فَيَطْمَعَ الَّذِي فِي قَلْبِهِ مَرَضٌ (الأحزاب: ٣٢)

Translation: “O wives of the Prophet! You are not like other women, if you are God-fearing. So, do not be soft in speech. Lest in whose heart is disease should be moved with desire.” (Surah Al-Ahzab: 32)

As such,  considering the current situation of lockdown there is definitely a need for you to continue your teaching online. Therefore, it will be permissible for you to teach on Zoom provided your voice is recorded in a stern , firm and principled way.

Can you teach by using videos?

The permissibility of digital photography and videos is a highly contested issue amongst contemporary Ulamā. Whilst we appreciate and tolerate the academic differences on digital photography, we advise against the use of digital photography in all circumstances referred to in your query.[2]

You state that you teach Quran and Islamic studies. Both of these subjects can be taught and understood without the use of Videos.

If you are compelled to make a video for teaching purposes then, you could make the video without any animate objects being in it. For example, you could write the Quraan Ayah or the lesson on a board thereafter, you can recite the verse or explain the lesson while not being physically present in the video.

Ahmad Patel

South  Africa

[1]

الدر المختار وحاشية ابن عابدين (رد المحتار) (1/ 406)  

ثم نقل عن خط العلامة المقدسي: ذكر الإمام أبو العباس القرطبي في كتابه في السماع: ولا يظن من لا فطنة عنده أنا إذا قلنا صوت المرأة عورة أنا نريد بذلك كلامها، لأن ذلك ليس بصحيح، فإذا نجيز الكلام مع النساء للأجانب ومحاورتهن عند الحاجة إلى ذلك، ولا نجيز لهن رفع أصواتهن ولا تمطيطها ولا تليينها وتقطيعها لما في ذلك من استمالة الرجال إليهن وتحريك الشهوات منهم

الدر المختار وحاشية ابن عابدين (رد المحتار (1/ 406)  

قوله وصوتها) معطوف على المستثنى يعني أنه ليس بعورة

احسن الفتاوی (جلد ٨/ ص ٤٠)

فتاوی عثمانيه (جلد ١٠/ص ٨٣)

فتاوی مموديه (جلد ٢٨/ ص  ٧٦)

‏Ma’ariful Quran (Volume 7/ Page 140)

[2]

Takmilah Fath Al Mulhim vol.4 pg.155-164, Maktabah Dar Al Uloom Karachi

(Fatawa Mahmudiyyah Mazhari, Pg 393/14)