Date: 8th May 2020

I had this dream about this guy, what does it mean?

Question

Assalaam

I have a question regarding a dream about my marriage. Basically this guys family wanted to see us for marriage proposal but my mother rejected it straightaway after the boys mother said I will choose whoever suits my son and not necessarily the eldest one. She didn't come to our house but in one party she saw all 3 of us and kept looking at us but didn't not take the proposal further. I saw his son in a dream where he was getting engaged to me and in the dream he tells me that how someone had suggested him to marry someone else but that girl wasn't nice and then I asked how did he find about me and he was like that his mom saw me in a party (which is true) and that he told him that this girl (me) is a gem. Then I get emotional and I hug him. But that's all and the dream ended. 

In the dream I didn't see the 2 of us getting officiallly engaged but yes we were in a party hall and our engagement was meant to be on that day.

I wonder what this dream might mean. Does it mean that I will get engage to this man or not.

I also think that I was thinking about him on the day of the dream as I have seen him in real life but he has no idea that the girl he has seen in real life is also one of the girl amongst her sisters to be considered for him in terms of marriage.

Answer

The example of a dream is like a man traveling on a highway. The traveler will come across many different types of sceneries, some lush and beautiful, while others maybe not so eye-catching and appealing. Nonetheless, the traveler must not lose his concentration throughout his travel, and he should not stop to direct his attention to what is around him. Thus, our focus should not stray towards the transitory world of dreams. We should focus on real-life issues. Recounting every dream and pondering on its meanings is futile.

Sometimes factors that affect us when we are awake can also influence our dreams. You state that you were thinking about this man earlier in the day. Your dream may be an autobiographical thought based on your recent activities, conversations, or other issues in your life. And because your brain is operating at a much more emotional level than when you are awake, your brain may make connections regarding your feelings that your conscious self wouldn't make.

Your mother had rejected the offer presented by this man's mother earlier. Our elders have more experience and wisdom than us, and their input and foresight are essential in arriving at a decision. If you are interested in this man, consult your mother and tell her about your feelings. Make Istikhārā, and listen to the advice of your elders afterward. Their wisdom and experience serve as a light for us.

Abrar Habib

Student - Darul Iftaa

New York City, New York, USA