Category:
Date: 1st May 2020

I feel like I am mispronouncing words, is my Salaāh valid?

Question

Assalamu Alaykum

I am 15 Years Old, following Hanafi fiqh. Recently i have found out that if  i recorded my recitation of Surah Fatiha and made it at slow speed, then my pronounciation of words sound incorect.

for Example: when i say "Iyyaaka Na'budu" in salah, it sounds correct to me. But if i record my voice and put it on slow motion i find out that i say "iyaaka Na,budu" and i have heard that this means That i worship the sunlight and ask Sunlight for help {Astaghfirullah}.And i have been saying this all this time. The pronounciation has changed meaning, rendering my salaah invalid. Alhamdulillah i have now tried to read more slowly.

My question is if i have to make qadha salah for all of my salah of the past since puberty?

Answer

As-salāmu' alaykum wa-rahmatullāhi wa-barakātuh.

"Iyaaka Na,budu"  does not mean "I worship the sunlight and ask sunlight for help." Reciting "iyaaka Na,budu" instead of  "Iyyaaka Na'budu" does not nullify ones ṣalāh. Accordingly, one will not have to make qaḍā' of any ṣalāh's performed.

Instead of recording yourself, we advise that you go sit with a local Qārī, Ḥāfiẓ, or Imām and correct your tajwīd mistakes.

And Allah Ta'āla Knows Best

Abrar Habib

Student - Darul Iftaa

New York City, New York, USA

09-09-1441|01-05-2020