The rights of the Mother and daughter - What do i do?

Question

Assalamualaikum! I’m tangled between fulfilling my mother’s rights and getting confused between my rights. I’m a girl and my mother has done a lot for me, my father in a way has abandoned us and my mother took all the responsibilities. I really love my mother and I know her life was really tough from the day she married my father and my father never fulfilled her rights as a wife, I do understand all that but sometimes it gets really hard for me to always listen to the same thing I know she’s been through a lot but I also want her to understand that I am also suffering through a lot of depression because of the situation my father has put us in. So because of my depression and lack of tolerance I sometimes talk very rudely to my mother and later I do feel bad that I shouldn’t have done it and also sometimes my mother taunts me very badly and my heart completely breaks. So what should I do? Should I remain silent in front of her or what should I do? I really love my mother but I also can’t hear taunts from her or always listen to the problems. We are in this world for so many other purposes and I really want to do something different and I really want get into islam more but always dragging us to the same problem is not acceptable for me and I sometimes feel caged. Plz help me to find the solution for my problem!

Answer

Sister in islam,

We acknowledge the contents of your query. We ask Allah Ta’ala to grant you ease and happiness In Sha Allah.

We advise you to consult with senior family members and explain to them the issue at hand. Ask assistance from them in speaking to your mother. You and your mother have been through a lot. Hence, it would be appropriate for seniors in the family to assist.

We also advise you to turn to Allah Ta’ala especially in the auspicious month of Ramadhan which is set to dawn upon us. Turn to Allah Ta’ala at the time of Iftar and in the early hours of the morning.

Mahmood Suliman

Gaborone, Botswana