Is it permissible to use JustForMen Control GX grey reducing shampoo?

Question

Asalaam-u-alaikum dear repected ulema

I have a question in relation to the coloring of hair for men.  I want to specifically know if i can use the following product:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Just-Men-Control-Reducing-Shampoo/dp/B01MY6HX6Y?th=1

My natural hair color is black.  is it permissable to use this product?  

Jazakallah

Answer

We have reached out to JustForMen regarding the aforementioned product, and they have informed us that this product is a type of dye that starts as a light shade of brown. With every wash, the color gets darker and can eventually become black. Once one reaches his desired hair color, he should use the product two to three times a week to maintain this color.

In principle, it is permissible for a man to dye his hair any color except black or any color that is common amongst sinful and immoral people. Accordingly, it will be permissible for one to use the JustForMen Control GX grey reducing shampoo as long as one’s hair does not become black.

Abrar Habib

Student - Darul Iftaa

New York City, New York, USA

05-09-1441|27-04-2020