Date: 23rd March 2020

Unable to perform Umrah due to coronavirus - Will i still get my reward?

Question

Assalamu Alaikum Warahmatullahi Wabaraktu

1. I had booked tickets, obtained a visa and secured accomodaiton to perform Umrah for the first time, it was a long time in the planning. I flew half way to Mecca but sadly in my transit I had to turn back because of the coronavirus, I was very upset. I did not go on. Will Allah swt give me reward because of my intention and due to circumstances out of my control I could not go on?

2. I heard in a lecture a while ago and I cannot remember it that there are certain qualities of a real man. For example there is a difference between just a  being a male and a real person of with man like qualities and who's witness can be accpeted. Do you know of any book where I can learn about this aspect that is in English. I recall for example it was said a real man has qualities of courage, speaking the truth, he doesn't eat out at restaraunts, he fulfills his promise etc.. I would love to learn more about this.

Jazakumullah khair and may Allah reward you all with Jannatul Firdaws.

Answer

Nabi (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) has said:

إِنَّمَا الأَعْمَالُ بِالنِّيَّاتِ، وَإِنَّمَا لِكُلِّ امْرِئٍ مَا نَوَى

Translation: "(The reward of) deeds are based upon its intentions and every person (will get the reward according to) what he has intended.” (Sahih al-Bukhari 1)

The purpose and intention of Umrah is to gain the pleasure of Allah Ta’ala. You did all that was within your means. You sacrificed your time and money. You even began your journey and booked accommodation. It is Taqdeer (Divine plan of Allah Ta’ala) that you couldn’t perform Umrah. However, bear in mind that Allah Ta’ala is الشكور, Allah Ta’ala values whatever His sincere slaves do. You will be rewarded for the Umrah and most importantly you will gain the pleasure of Allah Ta’ala.

Whenever we perform any Ibaadat, we do not do it to fulfil our desire/feelings, rather we do it to gain the pleasure of Allah Ta’ala. Performing Umrah would have resulted in your personal desire being fulfilled, together with gaining the pleasure of Allah Ta’ala. However, the real objective is only the pleasure of Allah Ta’ala and this has been achieved.

We understand that you are heart broken. A heartbroken person is close to Allah Ta’ala. It is mentioned in the divine Scriptures:

أنا عند المنكسرة قلوبهم من أجلي

Translation: (Allah Ta’ala) is with those people whose hearts are broken for his sake (Faizul Qadir)

You may also take solace from the incident of Hudaybiyya. Nabi (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) left Madinah Munawwarah with the Sahabah (Radiyallahu Anhum) intending to perform Umrah. However, the Mushrikeen of Makkah stopped them from entering. Initially the Sahabah (Radiyallahu Anhum) were disappointed due to being unable to perform Umrah. Allah Ta’ala then revealed the verse informing them that this event was actually a great victory. It was the stepping stone for the conquest of Makkah and multitudes of people entering into the fold of Islam.

Even though we are not able to perform Umrah at present due to the coronavirus, we can still receive the reward of an accepted Hajj and Umrah daily. It appears in a Hadith:

عن أنس، قال: قال رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم: من صلى الغداة في جماعة ثم قعد يذكر الله حتى تطلع الشمس، ثم صلى ركعتين كانت له كأجر حجة وعمرة، قال: قال رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم: تامة تامة تامة

Translation: Anas bin Malik (Radiyallahu Anhu) narrates that Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said: “Whoever prays Fajr in congregation, then sits remembering Allah until the sun has risen, then he prays two Rakaats (of Ishraq), he will receive the reward like that of a Hajj and Umrah”. He said: “The Messenger of Allah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said: “Complete, complete, complete (i.e. the reward of a complete Hajj and Umrah)”. (Tirmidhi 586)

While we cannot physically present ourselves in front of the Rawdah Aqdas of Nabi (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam), our Durood and Salaam are still presented to Nabi (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam). Hence, we should increase our Durood.

Great virtues have been mentioned in the Hadith for reciting Durood upon Nabi (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam).

قَالَ النَّبِيُّ صلى الله عليه وسلم ‏"‏ إِنَّ مِنْ أَفْضَلِ أَيَّامِكُمْ يَوْمَ الْجُمُعَةِ فَأَكْثِرُوا عَلَىَّ مِنَ الصَّلاَةِ فِيهِ فَإِنَّ صَلاَتَكُمْ مَعْرُوضَةٌ عَلَىَّ ‏"‏

Translation: Nabi (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said: Indeed, amongst the most excellent of days is the day of Jumuah, so send abundant Durood on me on that day, for certainly your Durood are presented to me. (Sunan Abi Dawud 1531)

أَنَّ رَسُولَ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم قَالَ ‏"‏ أَوْلَى النَّاسِ بِي يَوْمَ الْقِيَامَةِ أَكْثَرُهُمْ عَلَىَّ صَلاَةً ‏‏"‏.‏

Translation: Nabi (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said: "The person closest to me on the Day of Qiyamah will be the one who sent the most Durood upon me." (Jami` at-Tirmidhi 484)

أَنَّ رَسُولَ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم قَالَ ‏ "‏ مَنْ صَلَّى عَلَىَّ وَاحِدَةً صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ عَشْرًا ‏"‏

Translation: Nabi (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said: He who sends Durood upon me once, Allah will send blessings on him ten times. (Sahih Muslim 808)

قَالَ أُبَىٌّ قُلْتُ يَا رَسُولَ اللَّهِ إِنِّي أُكْثِرُ الصَّلاَةَ عَلَيْكَ فَكَمْ أَجْعَلُ لَكَ مِنْ صَلاَتِي فَقَالَ ‏"‏ مَا شِئْتَ ‏"‏ ‏.‏ قَالَ قُلْتُ الرُّبُعَ ‏.‏ قَالَ ‏"‏ مَا شِئْتَ فَإِنْ زِدْتَ فَهُوَ خَيْرٌ لَكَ ‏"‏ ‏.‏ قُلْتُ النِّصْفَ ‏.‏ قَالَ ‏"‏ مَا شِئْتَ فَإِنْ زِدْتَ فَهُوَ خَيْرٌ لَكَ ‏"‏ ‏.‏ قَالَ قُلْتُ فَالثُّلُثَيْنِ ‏.‏ قَالَ ‏"‏ مَا شِئْتَ فَإِنْ زِدْتَ فَهُوَ خَيْرٌ لَكَ ‏"‏ ‏.‏ قُلْتُ أَجْعَلُ لَكَ صَلاَتِي كُلَّهَا ‏.‏ قَالَ ‏"‏ إِذًا تُكْفَى هَمَّكَ وَيُغْفَرُ لَكَ ذَنْبُكَ ‏"‏

Translation: Ubayy (Radiyallahu Anhu) narrates: "I said: 'O Messenger of Allah! Indeed, I send much Salat (Durood) on you. How much of (the time I spend in making Duaa) should I send Durood upon you?' He said: 'As you wish.'" "I said: 'A quarter?' He said: 'As you wish. But if you add more it would be better for you.' I said: 'Then half?' He said: 'As you wish. And if you add more it would be better [for you].' "I said: 'Then two-thirds? 'He said: 'As you wish, but if you add more it would be better for you.' I said: 'Should I spend all my time for Duaa in sending Durood upon you?' He said: 'Then (if you do this, all) your problems would be solved and your sins would be forgiven.'" (Tirmidhi 2645)

Through the Barakah of reciting abundant Durood, In-Sha Allah one will also be saved from this virus.

2) True men are those who are Allah conscious and follow the commands of Allah Ta’ala while abstaining from His disobedience.

One should stay far away from the qualities of the Munafeqeen (hypocrites). Their qualities are mentioned in the Hadith:

عَنْ عَبْدِ اللَّهِ بْنِ عَمْرٍو، أَنَّ النَّبِيَّ صلى الله عليه وسلم قَالَ ‏ "‏ أَرْبَعٌ مَنْ كُنَّ فِيهِ كَانَ مُنَافِقًا خَالِصًا، وَمَنْ كَانَتْ فِيهِ خَصْلَةٌ مِنْهُنَّ كَانَتْ فِيهِ خَصْلَةٌ مِنَ النِّفَاقِ حَتَّى يَدَعَهَا إِذَا اؤْتُمِنَ خَانَ وَإِذَا حَدَّثَ كَذَبَ وَإِذَا عَاهَدَ غَدَرَ، وَإِذَا خَاصَمَ فَجَرَ ‏"

Translation: 'Abdullah bin 'Amr Radiyallahu Anhu narrates that Nabi Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam Said: "Whoever has the following four (characteristics) is a pure hypocrite and whoever has one of these characteristics, has in him one of the characteristics of hypocrisy until he gives it up:

1. When he is entrusted, he betrays (the trust).

2. When he speaks, he lies.

3. When he makes a promise, he breaks it.

4. When he argues, he resorts to foul language (Sahih al-Bukhari)

A book which is beneficial on the topic of good character is ‘Aadabul Muasharaat’ by Moulana Ashraf Ali Thanwi (Rahmatullahi Alaih).

Muhammad Fayyaadh

Student - Darul Iftaa

South Africa

23-06-1441| 17-03-2020