Country: African Country

Breaking a promise made to Allah. How do i compensate?

Question

I made a promise to Allah when repenting that will promise not to go back to certain sins and I broke it I made mistakes do I have to give compensation for that. Like how do I go about doing that shukran

Answer

A Muslim should always keep his\her promise. More so, when the promise is made to Allah Subhānahu wa Tʿaala. However, we as Humans, due to our innate weaknesses and flaws, tend to commit sins despite firm intentions of abstaining from them. Nabī Ṣallallāhu ʿalaihi wa sallam has pointed towards this in the following Hadith:

كُلُّ ابْنِ آدَمَ خَطَّاءٌ وَخَيْرُ الْخَطَّائِينَ التَّوَّابُونَ (Sunan al-Tirmidhi- 2499) 

“All of the children of Adam are sinners, and the best sinners are those who repent.” 

Nevertheless, breaking a promise is unlike breaking an oath which necessitates a compensation. Accordingly, in the enquired situation there will be no compensation upon you. However, you should make sincere tauba and make firm intention of not committing the sin in future.

Naved Akhtar Ibn Shabbir.

Student - Darul Iftaa

Shillong, India.