Can one ask for a refund after making a non-refundable booking?

Question

My family is going for umrah in sha Allah jan 31. I made a booking for a hotel on an internet site for a stay in Turkey after our umrah. . As far as I can recall I made a refundable booking. I made sure it was a refundable booking as the group had not confirmed which hotel they all wanted to stay at. When I received my confirmation, the email stated that I had made a non refundable booking. I have contacted the booking site as well as the hotel to ask for the refund yet they are refusing. Now the hotel has already charged my visa. What is the Islamic way to deal with such a dispute. I believe I made a refundable booking but the booking website and hotel claim I made a non refundable booking and are charging me the full price. How should I proceed?

Answer

Brother in Islam,

We have read your email and understand your situation. May Allah Taa'la make you Umrah easy and  accept it. Ameen

If you can provide proof that you made a refundable booking, then contact the relevant authorities  and explain to them the situation. Ask to speak to the manager of the respective hotel and contact the admin of the booking site as well. If you still receive no response you may then consider legal action.

However, if the hotel website or booking site clearly state that the bookings are non-refundable, then it is possible that you have erred. We are humans and we all make mistakes.

However, you may still contact the relevant authorities and tell them of the mishap. Explain to them the situation in a polite manner , and ask them if an exception can be made for the refund of your booking.

Also turn to Allah Taa'la and make earnest dua . Allah Taa'la says :

وَمَنْ يَتَّقِ اللَّهَ يَجْعَلْ لَهُ مِنْ أَمْرِهِ يُسْرًا" (الطلاق: 4) "

Translation : " Allah Taa'la makes things easy for those who are mindful of him"

Ahmad Patel

South Africa