Date: 8th November 2019

Is it permissible for a woman to cover her hair in front of men by wearing a weave?

Question

1. A weave is a hairstyle created by weaving pieces of real or artificial
hair into a person's existing hair, typically in order to increase its length
or thickness. Is it permissible for a woman to cover her own hair in front of
non mahram men by wearing a weave? If no, then why?

Answer

A hair weave is a type of hair extension method where hair wefts are sewn onto braided hair and styled to any desired style. It is attached on one’s hair to alter the appearance of the hair. Specifically, the hair is woven, clipped, glued or stitched on the human’s natural hair. This makes it appear voluminous longer or of a different colour. It may be made of either Human or synthetic hair.[i]

In principle, women have been commanded to cover their awrah and conceal their adornments from non-mahram men. As you are aware, the hair of a woman is included in her awrah. The covering of the hair with a weave does not accomplish the obligation of concealing her attraction. Infact, it deceives the onlooker into believing that the weave is natural hair.

Furthermore, men are in nature slaves to their carnal desires. They are more visual than women in general. These are well established biological differences between the two genders that has never been denied. The Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam said:

عَنْ أُسَامَةَ بْنِ زَيْدٍ رَضِيَ اللَّهُ عَنْهُمَا عَنْ النَّبِيِّ صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ قَالَ مَا تَرَكْتُ بَعْدِي فِتْنَةً أَضَرَّ عَلَى الرِّجَالِ مِنْ النِّسَاءِ

Translation: Usamah ibn Zayd reported: The Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, said, “I have not left a trial after me more harmful to men than women.” (Sahih al-Bukhari- 4808)

The whole concept of hijab is to protect women from the immoral glance and lustful intent of men. Women are not meant to be objectified or judged based on materialistic values. It is for this motive the Quran has closed the doors of every action that could lead towards the heinous act of fornication and other evils. Just as the hair of a woman is attractive, the weave is far greater in enhancing the beauty and grace of the woman. Covering the hair with a weave in the presence of non-mahram will only open doors to evil and defeat the whole purpose of hijab.

The prohibition of seeing the hair is due to it being an awrah and a source of attraction. The same ruling will apply to wigs\weave as they hold far greater potential of enticing men. A weave does not fulfill the purpose of hijab, which is to conceal the attractiveness. Therefore, wearing a weave infront of non-mahram men will be impermissible.

Naved Akhtar Ibn Shabbir.

Student - Darul Iftaa

Shillong, India. 

______

Follow Mufti Ebrahim Desai’s official Twitter handle: @MuftiEbrahim

Latest Tweet:

I love my Rasulullah and I know he loves me more than I love myself. That is the true love which fulfils a person. It is a love without any personal motive.