Date: 21st October 2019

Can I work as a Database Administrator for a bank?

Question

Assalaamualaikum Mufti Sahab,

May Allah reward you for sharing the knowledge and enlighting our lives with knowledge of deen.

Mufti sahab my question is regardging working as Database Administrator for a Bank in USA..My Team Manages databases for a Bank...our job is to keep the databases running all the time which includes maintenance and production activity. The Database we manage consist of ALL applications that bank has ....My question is..is my income halal...please advise as this bothers me a lot i dont want to earn haram and feed that to my kids as it will have effects on them...The Shariah Board of Chicago says that it is permissiable but i want to take a second opinion from you are well.

Jazakallahu Khair.

Assalaamulalaikum

Answer

As-salāmu ‘alaykum wa-rahmatullāhi wa-barakātuh

In order for us to advise, kindly clarify the following:

1. Does your employment require you to produce systems that will be used to enroll customers in the bank’s interest products or do you only produce applications used for data collection purposes?
  2. Are you employed directly by the bank or by a software consulting company?

Mirza-Zain Ibn Ameer Baig

Student - Darul Iftaa

Montréal, Québec, Canada

21-02-1441| 21-10-2019

Follow Mufti Ebrahim Desai’s official Twitter handle: @MuftiEbrahim

Latest Tweet:

“If a saint regards a sinful person to be a criminal, that makes the saint a criminal. A sinful person can become a saint and a saint can become a criminal. A saint should not be content with his present condition and a sinful person should never despair.