Date: 25th July 2020

Do I have to pay Zakāah?

Question

As salamu alaykum i want to know about my zakat i will have pay or no. i took loan from islamic bank 4 month before 150000 one lak fifty thousand  Uae Dhs Aprox(PKR 57 Lak) half i give my friend and half amount i buy car i took this loan for 3 years and now monthly i pay to bank 4800 dhs aprox(1.82000 pkr) and now in my account aprox 36000 dhs its my saving .so i want to know i shoud pay zakat or no if yes how much i pay 

thanks so much and i am waiting your reply 

Answer

In principle, discharging zakāh is compulsory on a sane and mature Muslim when his wealth exceeds the niṣāb amount, over and above his basic needs, and after fulfilling his short-term debts, provided one maintains this amount of wealth for one lunar year, without it depleting to $0. If one's wealth ultimately diminishes at any point (to $0.), a new cycle will begin once he reaches niṣāb again. If the total of the remainder of the wealth exceeds the niṣāb rate after the deduction of short-term debts, it will be farḍ on the individual to pay zakāh.

Accordingly, if your wealth exceeds the niṣāb amount, over and above your basic needs, after subtracting your short-term debts, you will have to discharge 2.5% of this wealth as zakāh.

Abrar Habib

Student - Darul Iftaa

New York City, New York, USA