What are the rewards of a Medical Doctor in Islam?

Question

What are the rewards of a medical doctor in islam?

Answer

1.     A doctor by virtue of his medical training understands the amazing make up and functions of the human body and understands the power of Allah which becomes a means of him recognizing the power of Allah and strengthening his Iman.

2.    A doctor witnesses the might and power of Allah Ta’ala in the health and sickness of people and increases his Iman.

3.    A doctor makes his path to the hereafter easy by removing pain and discomfort from his patients.

Hereunder are the details of the above points:

A medical doctor provides his medical services to his patients to earn an income which is an obligation in Shariah. Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said:

(السنن الكبرى للبيهقي: 11695)" طَلَبُ كَسْبِ الْحَلَالِ فَرِيضَةٌ بَعْدَ الْفَرِيضَةِ "

Translation: “Seeking halal earning is a duty after the duty.” (Al-Sunan Al-Kubra Li Al-Bayhaqi: 11695)

Generally, doctors are people of the high earning bracket. While it is permissible for one to become rich, the intention and focus of the doctor should be to diligently treat his patients rather than just wanting to become rich. This should be irrespective of one’s color, race or religion. A doctor’s main concern and focus is the recovery and wellness of his patient. He is generally compassionate and sympathetic towards his patients. Such a caring attitude invokes the mercy of Allah Ta’ala. Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said:

"‏ الرَّاحِمُونَ يَرْحَمُهُمُ الرَّحْمَنُ ارْحَمُوا أَهْلَ الأَرْضِ يَرْحَمْكُمْ مَنْ فِي السَّمَاءِ ‏" (سنن ابي داود:4941)

Translation: “The Compassionate One (Allah) has mercy on those who are merciful. If you show mercy to those who are on the earth, He Who is in the heaven will show mercy to you. (Sunan Abi Dawud:4941)

If a doctor endeavours to remove the pain and discomfort from his patients due to his sickness, or aids him in any other way including treating him for free or reducing his medical bill etc, Allah Ta’ala will assist him and fulfill his needs. See the following Hadith:

عَبْدَ اللَّهِ بْنَ عُمَرَ ـ رضى الله عنهما ـ أَخْبَرَهُ أَنَّ رَسُولَ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم قَالَ ‏ "‏ الْمُسْلِمُ أَخُو الْمُسْلِمِ، لاَ يَظْلِمُهُ وَلاَ يُسْلِمُهُ، وَمَنْ كَانَ فِي حَاجَةِ أَخِيهِ كَانَ اللَّهُ فِي حَاجَتِهِ، (صحيح البخاري: 2442)

Translation: Narrated `Abdullah bin `Umar (Radhiyallahu Anhu): Allah's Messenger (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said, "A Muslim is a brother of another Muslim, so he should not oppress him, nor should he hand him over to an oppressor. Whoever fulfilled the needs of his brother, Allah Ta’ala will fulfill his needs.

(Sahih Al-Bukhari: 2442)

Furthermore, a doctor makes his path to the hereafter easy by removing pain and discomfort from his patients. See the following Hadith:

عَنْ أَبِي هُرَيْرَةَ، قَالَ قَالَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم ‏ "‏ مَنْ نَفَّسَ عَنْ مُؤْمِنٍ كُرْبَةً مِنْ كُرَبِ الدُّنْيَا نَفَّسَ اللَّهُ عَنْهُ كُرْبَةً مِنْ كُرَبِ الآخِرَةِ وَمَنْ سَتَرَ عَلَى مُسْلِمٍ سَتَرَهُ اللَّهُ فِي الدُّنْيَا وَالآخِرَةِ وَاللَّهُ فِي عَوْنِ الْعَبْدِ مَا كَانَ الْعَبْدُ فِي عَوْنِ أَخِيهِ ‏" (جامع الترمذي: 1425)‏

Translation: Narrated Abu Hurairah (Radhiyallahu Anhu): That the Messenger of Allah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said: "Whoever relieves a Muslim of a burden from the burdens of the world, Allah will relieve him of a burden from the burdens of the Hereafter. And whoever covers (the faults of) a Muslim, Allah will cover (his faults) for him in the world and the Hereafter. And Allah will help a person long as he is engaged in helping his brother.” (Jami Al-Tirmidhi: 1425)    

A medical doctor is exposed to patients with all forms of health related issues. While some may have general and mild health issues, others may be faced with serious and fatal health related issues. A doctor witnesses the might and power of Allah Ta’ala in the health and sickness of people.

A doctor by virtue of his medical training understands the amazing make up and functions of the human body. He understands the might and power of Allah Ta’ala in the human body as is explained in the following verse:

وَفِي أَنفُسِكُمْ ۚ أَفَلَا تُبْصِرُونَ (سورة الذاريات: 21)

Translation: “And in yourselves (are signs). Then do you not see?” (Surah Al-Zaariyaat: 21)

With the advance of the medical field, there are specialized doctors of almost every limb and part of the body. This specialization is ever increasing. However, no amount of specialization is sufficient to conquer the amazing intricacies of the human body. This becomes more complex with the different types of sicknesses as is evident from the current outbreak of the Coronavirus.

A doctor understands the power of Allah and that becomes a means of him recognizing the power of Allah and strengthening his Iman. He sees the opposing picture of life and death often. A doctor truly realizes the value of life. This enables him to make Shukr to Allah Ta’ala and prepare for death to meet Allah Ta’ala. This becomes a means of him inculcating qualities of the Saliheen (pious) and Muttaqeen (Allah-fearing) in him.

Below is a pledge prepared by the Darul Iftaa to inspire doctors to diligently fulfill their noble duties:

MY PLEDGE AS A MUSLIM DOCTOR

I believe that Allah Alone is The Curer (Al-Shaafi). I am just a means to cure people.

I therefore pledge:

1.     To treat every patient to the best of my ability with love and compassion.

2.     To maintain the dignity, honour and confidentiality of every patient.

3.     To deal in my medical profession according to the dictates of Shariah and consult the Ulama.

4.     To be punctual in my Salah, Zikr and Tilawah of the Quran.

5.     To regularly make Du’a for my patients.

6.     To serve Deen through my profession to the best of my ability and use it as a form of Dawah.

7.     To be conscious of accountability in the court of Allah.

Hammad Ibn Ismail Jogiat

Cambridge, Ontario, Canada