Date: 1st April 2019

Feeling disinclined from Deen due to sickness

Question

As-salaamu 'alaykum. I am suffering from a type of mental disorder and a type of mental illness and I am taking treatment to cure them. I was a very religious person. I have grown my bear according to the Islamic Laws and in the past I always performed my religious duties. But the medicines I am taking to cure my illness are changing my mindset completely. Now, I have become a new person with a new mindset due to medicines. My lifestyle is changing slowly. I have become a person who is not performing his religious duties. I sometimes don't know that what is happening to me. Now, due to this situation their is a chance that I will shave my beard and I am also not performing my religious duties. I am trying my best to perform my religious duties and also I don't want to shave my beard. I also cannot stop taking treatment. So my question is if I do not perform my religious duties due to this situation will I be sinful? If I shave my beard due to this situation will I be sinful? I am very depressed due to all this situation. Please give me a answer. May ALLAH reward you. (Ameen)

Answer

Brother in Islaam,

We take note of the contents of your mail and ask Allah Ta`ala to grant you a swift recovery. Aameen.

We commend you for being conscious of the laws of Deen. You should persevere, practise dilingtly on Deen and keep your beard.

You mention the medication you are taking is changing you and it has a negative effect on you. We advise you to seek medical advice.

Turn to Allah Ta`ala with dua, zikr and salaah. Also offer some sadaqa.

May Allah Ta`ala grant you the courage to overcome your difficulty. Aameen.