My mother does not let me don the Sunnah clothing

Question

Assalamualykum mufti Sahab, What should I do if my mom doesn’t allow me to wear imamah and white Shalwar Kameez (Sunnah attire). She only lets me wear at home and masjid and not if we go to any person’s house, the mall or anywhere else. Am I right in saying that I have to listen to her because listening to her is Fardh and wearing white and wearing imamah is sunnah. Jazak’Allah

Answer

Muhtaram Brother,

It is encouraging to note your passion for Deen and your zeal and enthusiasm to don the Sunnah attire.

Shariah emphasizes the importance of respecting one’s parents. Always show respect to your parents. Do not let your religiousness affect your relationship with your parents.

Allah Ta’ala says:

و وصينا الانسان بوالديه احسانا 

Translation: “And we have enjoined upon Mankind showing compassion to parents”

(Surah Al- Ankaboot, Verse 8)

Brother, you state your mother allows you to don the Sunnah attire at home and at the masjid. You should make Shukr for that and employ wisdom when dealing with your mother.

You should try to win over your mother’s heart through serving her.  Treat her with kindness and see to her needs. Be soft and gentle with her. This will soften her heart and change her mindset eventually.

You should also explain to your mother the great rewards and benefits of donning the Sunnah attire. Obtain some booklets on the virtues and merits of Sunnah and keep them within close range of your mother.

Du’aa is the weapon of a believer. Implore Allah Ta’ala to soften your mother’s heart and change her attitude. Aameen.