I decided to divorce you if you enrol for a masters program

Question

As salamu alaikum. In the past, I was unwilling to continue my wife's education. So, I texted her "I decided to divorce you if you enroll for a Masters program". She was upset with my text but intended to enroll for the program anyway. I was shocked seeing her strong intention and so, later I changed my decison. After few years, I came to know that she already enrolled into that program before I had texted her. Anyway, I did not proceed to divorce her and have been living happily with her until now. My question: Does my aforementioned text caused the divorce at that time? If yes, do we need to renew our marriage again?

Answer

The statement in reference does not constitute a divorce.[1]

Aboobakr Siddeeq bin Mufti Amjad Mohammad

Azaadville, Johannesburg, South Africa

__________

[1] المحيط البرهاني في الفقه النعماني (3/ 472)

وبالعربية قوله: أطلق، لا يكون طلاقاً في أنه دائر بين الحال والاستقبال فلم يكن تحقيقاً

الفتاوى الهندية - ط. دار الفكر (1/ 384)

لو قال بالعربية أطلق لا يكون طلاقا إلا إذا غلب استعماله للحال فيكون طلاقا