Title: Renewing one’s nikaah

Question

Ya Shaykh,

I got married in june.

But once out of anger, I uttered words of kufr and insulted Allah.

I didn't know that it annuled my marriage till a few days ago.

So I renewed my Nikah with my wife using my 2 close friends as my witness.

Please tell me if the below scenario makes my nikah valid:

Me: I am renewing my Nikah with you oh _____(name), by marrying you, with the agreed mahr amount of £500.

Wife: I have accepted it.

This happened at night time and We were sitting in a car, 4 of us. My Wife, Me and 2 witnesses.

The 2 witnesses were my good friends, 2 Muslims men, both are reliable and mature.

Please answer soon

Answer

Brother in Islaam,

The procedure for renewing one’s nikaah is the same as that of a new nikaah. In the enquired situation, the procedure of renewing your nikaah was correct. We advise you to make tawbah and istighfaar for such utterances and repeat your shahaadah if you haven’t yet. In the future, think before you speak. Don’t jeopardize your imaan by making such comments[1].

[1] الفتاوى الهندية (2/ 283)

رجل كفر بلسانه طائعا وقلبه مطمئن بالإيمان يكون كافرا ولا يكون عند الله مؤمنا كذا في فتاوى قاضي خان ما كان في كونه كفرا اختلاف فإن قائله يؤمر بتجديد النكاح وبالتوبة والرجوع عن ذلك بطريق الاحتياط