Title: Should names be in the Arabic language?

Question

Salam, 

Brother i would like to ask a small question which is having a impact on my family's.

My wife has just given birth to a beautiful boy,

She is adament that she would like to keep the name Noah which i dont mind. However my family disagree and advised as it is a biblical name we should not call him this as it is sinful. They have advised that we should call in nuh instead.

On the birth registration my wife would like to put Noah and my last name.

My question is it haraam or sinful to keep our childs name noah and register in on the birth certificate as that? Or do we need to put the arabic name on to stop the sin.

Jzkallah khair

Answer

May Allah make your son the coolness of your eyes. Ameen. 

In principle, it is not prohibited to keep a non-Arabic name which does not have a bad meaning or anything un-Islamic about it. 

It is advisable to keep the names of the Prophets, Sahaabah and the pious predecessors.

Rasulullah Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam said:

قال رسولُ الله -صلى الله عليه وسلم-: "تَسَمَّوْا بأسَماءِ الأنبياء، وأحَبُّ الأسماءِ إلى الله: عَبدُ الله وعبدُ الرحمن، وأصدَقُها: حارِثٌ وهَمَّامٌ، وأقْبَحُها: حَرْبٌ ومُرَّة"

Translation: Rasulullah Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam said: Call yourselves by the names of the Prophets. The names dearest to Allah are Abdullah and AbdurRahman, the truest are Harith and Hammam, and the worst are Harb and Murrah.

Keeping the above Hadith in mind, we would advise you to keep the name Nooh that is the Arabic version of Noah.

Mahomed Yasser Iunus Hussen

Mozambique

سنن أبي داود ت الأرنؤوط (7/ 305)