Category:

Do I have to make a payment for a haram service?

Question

Assalamualaikum, 

Dear Mufti Saheb,

My question is regards to payment.

A while ago i was caught up in the wrong friend circle and wad engaged in alot of vices. However i am trying to change my life. My question is, i once promised to make a payment for a haraam service, but i did not make the payment. Do i still have to make the payment even though the person was providing a haraam service ? Further, i am now afraid to make the payment as i fear that if i go to make the payment i will fall into the temptation of sin. Please advice.

JazakAllah 

Answer

It is pleasing to note that you are trying to change your life. You should consolidate your intention through the obedience of Allah Ta’ala. We do not know what you mean by haram. Nevertheless, if the services were indeed haram, then you do not have to pay for such services. Shari'ah does not recognise haram services.[1]

Mizanur Rahman

UK