Country: Russian Federation
Date: 7th December 2018

The intimate (Awrah) parts of a child

Question

Assalam Alyaikum! I hope you can help me. I have a daughter. I hear that her awrah will be intimate parts from 4 years old. is it so? What can you tell about children awrah till age of puberty: from what age will be awrah and what parts of body? 2. If awrah is for example intimate organs, can my girl wear tight trousers? Her back side is always highlighted in pants even they wide. I m very worried because it be difficult to me. 3. my daughter has a problem with irritation in intimate part, she can’t wash properly this place. Always she has little intergrowth of the labia. I should check it occasionally. Also she has problem with intestinal constipation and I put in her suppositories. Can it be a reason that I can see her awrah? 4. Can I wash her intimate parts without looking on it? 4. And what about adult should we also to close body from children and which parts? Can we wear tight clothes on awrah parts?

Answer

There are some points of your query that are not clear. We will advise on what we understand from your query.

When a child reaches an age of understanding, he/she should be trained on various aspects of Deen. That includes how to cleanse oneself, Wudhu, Ghusl, and how to clothe oneself. The general age of understanding such issues is around 7 years.

Parents know their children’s understanding better and they can make decisions accordingly. Girls should be trained to dress modestly and wear loose clothing.

We are not sure whether the question is from the mother or father. In the case of washing the daughter and inserting medication, that is the role of the mother. It is permissible for the mother to wash minor daughter and assist with medication.

Mahomed Yasser Yunus Hussen

Mozambique