Asked Country: Kenya

Title: Will there be Kaffarah due by threatening someone?

Question

Assalamu aleikum. Question from my dad. Some months back l got irritated with my grandson for doing something I had told him not to do but he continued doing it. I got so angry and irritated that l told him when l die he shouldn't attend my funeral. But when l cooled down l told him it is OK you can attend. On another occasion, l was waking him up for Salaah but he was not waking up, so l told him if you will not wake up now l will never make you wake up again. Now l want to know is there any kaffara for this two incidents.

Answer

The statements in reference constitute a threat. There is no Kaffarah for both statements. [i]

When expressing anger, do not do so to give vent to one’s frustration. The intention should be to nurture the person.

المحيط البرهاني في الفقه النعماني (4/ 199) [i]

وركن اليمن بالله ذكر اسم الله تعالى مقروناً بالجزاء؛ لأن ركن الشيء ما يعقد به ذلك الشيء، واليمين يعقد بالقسم به والمقسم به اسم الله تعالى في ظاهر مذهب أصحابنا رضي الله عنهم بلا خلاف