Asked Country: Germany

Title: What should one do when others speak about their religion in front of him?

Question

Assalamu 'Alaikum.

I am studying in in a non-muslim country. Today the professor said something from the bible while he talked about a topic. Should I have left the class when he talked about it? Also if in general people talk about their religions and kufr, do I have to denounce them or leave the place, or is it allowed to stay when they talk about their religion?

Answer

There are two angles to the issue. One is to protect your Deen and save yourself from influence of other religions.

The other is to invite people to Islam.

If one is firm on Deen and is certain he will not get influenced by other religions, then one may remain in that discussion and understand the concept with the intention of correcting them of their wrong concepts. When correcting someone, the following verse must be kept in mind. 

{ادْعُ إِلَى سَبِيلِ رَبِّكَ بِالْحِكْمَةِ وَالْمَوْعِظَةِ الْحَسَنَةِ } [النحل: 125]

“Call to the path of your Rabb with wisdom and good counsel”. (Suratun Nahl, Verse 125).

However, if one fears that he will be influenced by the discussion of other religions, then he should leave that discussion to protect his Imaan.

Allah Ta`ala says;

{فَلَا تَقْعُدْ بَعْدَ الذِّكْرَى مَعَ الْقَوْمِ الظَّالِمِينَ } [الأنعام: 68]

“Do not remain seated with an oppressive nation after a reminder”. (Suratul An`aam)