Asked Country: Taiwan

Title: Fundraising for a heart transplant

Question

As-salāmu alaykum wa-rahmatullāhi wa-barakātuh

Respected Ulama/Students (and my distant Family in ISLAM),

Hope & pray to Allah the Almighty; this mail finds you in best shape of Life & Imaan.

Sorry to disturb you with similar query, in case if this has already been answered; thanks to guide to the same.

Recently one of my dearest friend has gone through Heart Transplant.

Alhamdulillah the operation was successful & he is doing good. (Still at the hospital)

We don’t know who was the donor (whether the donor was Male/Female, Young/Old, Muslim/Non-Muslim); as the heart was received from a deceased (accidental case).

Query:

As there is varied opinion on the permissibility of Organ donation (transplant);

Is it ok for me (us) to raised fund for me friend’s medical expenses?

NOTE: Fund raising will be done by asking friends and family & other charitable trust/organisation to donate.

May Almighty accept the hard work you people do, give you & and your family Peace & Success in both the worlds.

Jazak ALLAH hu Khair

Answer

Muhtaram Brother,

We apologise for the much belated response. May Almighty Allah grant your friend complete Shifa. Aameen.

It is permissible to raise funds for your friend to pay for his medical expenses.

We commend you for your enthusiasm to assist your friend financially.

Consider the following Hadeeth:

قَالَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم ‏ ‏ مَنْ نَفَّسَ عَنْ مُؤْمِنٍ كُرْبَةً مِنْ كُرَبِ الدُّنْيَا نَفَّسَ اللَّهُ عَنْهُ كُرْبَةً مِنْ كُرَبِ الآخِرَةِ وَمَنْ سَتَرَ عَلَى مُسْلِمٍ سَتَرَهُ اللَّهُ فِي الدُّنْيَا وَالآخِرَةِ وَاللَّهُ فِي عَوْنِ الْعَبْدِ مَا كَانَ الْعَبْدُ فِي عَوْنِ أَخِيهِ

Translation: Nabi said: "Whoever relieves a Muslim of a burden from the burdens of the world, Allah will relieve him of a burden from the burdens of the Hereafter. And whoever covers (the faults of) a Muslim, Allah will cover (his faults) for him in the world and the Hereafter. And Allah is engaged in helping the worshipper as long as the worshipper is engaged in helping his brother."

(Jaami At-Tirmidhy, Kitaab Al-Hudood)

Muhammad IV Patel