Category:

Title: Saying goodbye to a female patient with a thought of divorcing my wife

Question

Assalamualaikum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuhu,

I hope you are well respected scholar. Alhamdulillah I have recently got married and am enjoying every moment. Please make dua this continues. I am an individual who often gets doubts in various matters of deen. Like did I wash this part in wudhu or ghusal, did I pray a Surah in this salah etc. Yesterday whilst I was at work I was talking to a female patient because I work as a Pharmacist Alhamdulillah. At the end of the conversation I said bye as usual practice but at the time a thought came in my mind telling me Naoodhubillah I have divorced my wife by saying bye. It was such a thought as though my whole body was agreeing with this ie my saying bye to the patient means I have Naoodhubillah divorced my wife.

Now I am fighting a sort of mind war in thinking that was intention of divorce. Could you please provide some advice on this and some advice for the future as well to avoid this mental torture. Even if Naoodhubillah when saying Bye to that patient with Naoodhubillah intention of divorce would that count? Allah forbid.

Jazakallah khayran 

Answer

Brother in Islam,

May Allah Ta’ala keep you steadfast in Deen. Aameen.

We take note of your predicament and advise you to seek medical help.

Saying goodbye to a female patient with a thought of divorcing your wife does not constitute divorce. Accordingly, your nikaah is intact.

We also advise you not to ponder and build on these thoughts, as you will be aiding Shaytaan in fulfilling his mission. Do not allow the whispers of Shaytaan to intimidate you.

We also advise you to limit your interactions with patients with opposite gender to the bare minimum.

Hereunder are some ways to combat the whisperings of Shaytaan: [i]

• Constantly recite the undermentioned supplications/Du’aas :

رَبِّ أَعُوذُ بِكَ مِنْ هَمَزَاتِ الشَّيَاطِينِ وَأَعُوذُ بِكَ رَبِّ أَنْ يَحْضُرُونِ

Translation: O Allah! I seek your protection from the evil whisperings of the Shaytaan, and, O my Rabb, I seek Your protection that they (the Shaytaan) approach me (because they always approach with evil).’”

(Surah Al-Mu’minoon, Verses 97-98)

اَللَّهُمَّ اجْعَلْ وَسَاوِسَ قلبي خَشْيَتَكَ وذِكْرَكَ واجْعَلْ همتي وهَوَايَ فِيْمَا تُحِبُّ وتَرْضَى

Translation: “O Allah! Make Your fear and remembrance the obsession of my mind and divert my will and courage to the performance of deeds that please You.”

لا حول ولا قوة الا بالله

Translation: There is no power to neither do any good nor prevent any evil except in Allah

Mirza Mahmood Baig

Jeddah, KSA

[i] http://askimam.org/public/question_detail/41145