Title: Ethanol alcohol clarification

Question

Asalamu alaikum, I have a question about ethanol in skin care and make up . I am aware that similar question had been asked and answered already but I am still confused about it . I saw the answer that ethanol derived from grapes , dates , barley is haram to use in skincare products but other Mufti from Hanafi school says that it does not matter where ethanol is derived from it is haram to use . When I referred to fatwa that ethanol from grapes, dates and barley is haram the rest are ok ,this is the answer I received : “The ‘fatwa’ mentioned by you is incorrect. The mufti has erred. His idea regarding alcohol from products other than grapes and dates, is baseless. In terms of this mufti’s convoluted logic, whisky, vodka and the vast majority of non-grape liquors are halaal as long as one drinks small quantities which do not intoxicate one. This type of mufti is a sign of the Impending Hour of Qiyaamah. Rasulullah (Sallallahu alayhi wasallam) had predicted that the time will dawn when Muslims will legalize liquor calling it some fancyname, e.g. ethanol. It is haraam to use even synthetic alcohol because it is an intoxicant. All intoxicants are haraam even if taken in small amounts”. Please clarify what is the base for the fatwa that it is ok to use ethanol in skincare from other than grapes, dates, barley . JazakAllah Kheir.

Answer

Dear Brother,

We take note of the comments on our fatwa regarding ethanol alcohol derived from sources besides grapes, dates and barley for skin products. We maintain our view that such skin products are permissible to use.

You may refer to the following fatwa on our website:

http://askimam.org/public/question_detail/6.html

http://askimam.org/public/question_detail/16753

The above is our opinion. If you abstain from using such products according to the other fatwa in reference, that is taqwa.

Tareque Ahmed