Asked Country: United States Minor Outlying Islands

Title: Maktabah Shamila

Question

Assalamu'alaikum warahmatullahi wabarakatuh,

I was reading one of the student reviews on your site. In the review it said "Students are free to use all resources at their disposal including Shamela..." I have personally not used the software and not read any of the text in it but I'm sure you have heard of Mufti Saeed Ahmad Palanpuri (DB), he is a big mufti and teacher at Darul Uloom Deoband. If you open the file which I have attached, Mufti Saeed says that the books in Shamela are not trustworthy as the Ghair Muqallideen have tampered with them. Kindly advise Mufti Ebrahim Desai (DB) and show him the clip. Please e-mail me back if you have any more questions or concerns. 

Answer

Dear Brother,

Maktabah Shamilah is an online library containing numerous Arabic books on the various Islamic sciences. It is used by thousands of students and scholars worldwide and is updated every year. [1]

There is no salafi tahrif in the official version of Shamilah. Having used it repeatedly, we have found it to be accurate with occasional minor mistakes that are unintended (mistakes in the harakat, missing letters in some words, two words joined together, etc.).

If Shamilah was an unreliable source, then most of the Arabic books printed lately would also be unreliable, since many publishers copy the text from Shamilah, do some typesetting and then reprint it as a new edition.

Tareque Ahmed

____________________________

[1]https://islaamiclibrary.wordpress.com/2009/03/01/thecomprehensivelibrary/