Fatwa: # 41184
Category: Divorce (Talaaq)
Country: Bangladesh
Date: 27th September 2018


Am I divorced?


Assalamualaykum I have been given talaaq once by my husband yesterday after zuhr. He said in Urdu “mae tum ko abhi talaaq dayta hun” I give you talaaq right now. So what should be done ? 
Can I continue to live with him cause then in the night he took me back we made up already? 
Can I stay in iddat in my own home and he move out for the duration of my iddat cause my parents home is abt 4-5 hours away by airplane ? 
Can I sleep in one room and him in another room ? But live in the same house while I’m in iddat? 
Please reply as soon as possible. Jazakumullahu Khair. 
Ahlia Syed Mukarim 


In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, The Most Merciful.

As-salaamu `alaykum wa-ramatullahi wa-barakatuh.

In principle, when a husband tell his wife, “I divorce you”, that constitutes one revocable divorce (talaaq e raj`ee).[i] If the husband takes the wife back before her iddat ends, that will revoke the divorce.[ii] Hence you may continue living with your husband.

The above ruling is if the husband did not issue two divorces prior to this divorce. If the husband issued two divorces prior to this divorce, then that constitutes talaq e mugallazah. (A permanently irrevocable divorce). If he did not issue two divorces prior to this then, accordingly, the husband has the right of only two divorces. The one divorce issued is revoked but not cancelled.

And Allah Ta`ala Knows Best.

Hussein Muhammad.

Student Darul Iftaa

Arusha, Tanzania

Checked and Approved by:

Mufti Ebrahim Desai.






شرح مختصر الطحاوي للجصاص (5/ 20)

قال أبو جعفر: (وإذا طلقها بأن قال لها: أنت طالق، أو: قد طلقتك: فإنه يملك رجعتها، فإن شاء راجعها قبل انقضاء العدة، وإن شاء تركها حتى تنقضي عدتها".


شرح مختصر الطحاوي للجصاص (5/ 22)

* قال: (ولا ينبغي له أن يراجعها بما سوى ذلك من جماع أو قبلة).

وذلك لأنه مندوب إلى الإشهاد على الرجعة، وهذه الأحوال يتعذر الإشهاد فيها.




مختصر القدوري (ص: 159)

إذا طلق الرجل امرأته تطليقة رجعية أو تطليقتين فله أن يراجعها في عدتها رضيت بذلك أو لم ترض

والرجعة أن يقول: راجعتك أو راجعت امرأتي

أو يطأها أو يقبلها أو يلمسها شهوة أو ينظر إلى فرجها بشهوة


لسان الحكام (ص: 328)

وَالرَّجْعَة أَن يَقُول رَاجَعتك أَو راجعت امْرَأَتي وَهُوَ صَرِيح فِي الرّجْعَة وَلَا خلاف فِيهِ بَين الْأمة أَو يَطَأهَا أَو يقبلهَا أَو يَمَسهَا بِشَهْوَة أَو ينظر إِلَى فرجهَا بِشَهْوَة وَهَذَا عندنَا


تحفة الفقهاء (2/ 177)

وَأَجْمعُوا أَنه يملك الْمُرَاجَعَة من غير رضَا الْمَرْأَة وَمن غير مهر وَمن غير تَجْدِيد العقد وَهُوَ أَن يَقُول لامْرَأَته رَاجَعتك أَو عبارَة تقوم مقَامهَا فِي هَذَا الْمَعْنى وَالْأَفْضَل أَن يشْهد على رَجعتهَا وَأَن يعلمهَا بذلك


Fataawa Mahmudiyya, Vol 13, Pg 364.

DISCLAIMER - AskImam.org questions
AskImam.org answers issues pertaining to Shar'ah. Thereafter, these questions and answers are placed for public view on www.askimam.org for educational purposes. However, many of these answers are unique to a particular scenario and cannot be taken as a basis to establish a ruling in another situation or another environment. Askimam.org bears no responsibility with regards to these questions being used out of their intended context.
  • The Shar's ruling herein given is based specifically on the question posed and should be read in conjunction with the question.
  • AskImam.org bears no responsibility to any party who may or may not act on this answer and is being hereby exempted from loss or damage howsoever caused.
  • This answer may not be used as evidence in any Court of Law without prior written consent of AskImam.org.
  • Any or all links provided in our emails, answers and articles are restricted to the specific material being cited. Such referencing should not be taken as an endorsement of other contents of that website.
The Messenger of Allah said, "When Allah wishes good for someone, He bestows upon him the understanding of Deen."
[Al-Bukhari and Muslim]