Title: Disliked names to keep

Question

Asslamualaikum!

Would you please enlighten me the reasons for my first daughter's name as Mafaza because as you said it is disliked for children. Also please be kind enough to guide me whether I should change both her names i.e MAFAZA ANOUD as she is 4yrs now. And also please suggest me some names. My name is Mohammed Fuaad and my wife name is Sharina Anjum.

Was-Salam

Answer

Mafazah (مَفَازَة) means “successful”. It is disliked to keep one’s child name “Mafazah” (successful). 

Anoud (عَنُود) means: to be or become stubborn, obstinate, deviate. “Anoud” also means: many clouds that bring rains. 

It is advisable to change your daughter’s last name (Anoud). 

The above is stated in the Fatwa 41079:

Rasulullah Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam said:

: قَالَ رَسُولُ اللهِ صَلَّى اللهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ: لَا تُسَمِّ غُلَامَكَ رَبَاحًا، وَلَا يَسَارًا، وَلَا أَفْلَحَ، وَلَا نَافِعًا

Translation: Do not give these names to your servants or (children): Rabah (profit), Yasaar (easy, good) Naafi' (Beneficial) and Aflah (successful). Muslim/Hadith 2137. 

أَنَّهُ سَمِعَ جَابِرَ بْنَ عَبْدِ اللهِ، يَقُولُ: أَرَادَ النَّبِيُّ صَلَّى اللهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ أَنْ يَنْهَى عَنْ أَنْ يُسَمَّى بِيَعْلَى، وَبِبَرَكَةَ، وَبِأَفْلَحَ، وَبِيَسَارٍ، وَبِنَافِعٍ وَبِنَحْوِ ذَلِكَ، ثُمَّ رَأَيْتُهُ سَكَتَ بَعْدُ عَنْهَا، فَلَمْ يَقُلْ شَيْئًا، ثُمَّ قُبِضَ رَسُولُ اللهِ صَلَّى اللهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ وَلَمْ يَنْهَ عَنْ ذَلِكَ، ثُمَّ أَرَادَ عُمَرُ أَنْ يَنْهَى عَنْ ذَلِكَ ثُمَّ تَرَكَهُ.

Translation: Jabir bin Abdullah said that Rasulullah Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam decided to forbid (his followers) to name persons as Ya'la (Elevated), Baraka (Blessing), Aflah (Successful), Yasar, Naafi' and similar names, but I saw that he kept silent after that and he did not say anything until Rasulullah Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam passed away. And he did not forbid (his followers to do this), then 'Umar Radiallahu Anhu decided to prohibit (people) from giving these names, but later on he gave up the idea. Muslim / Hadith 2138

Therefore, it is disliked to use these names and similar ones, but not impermissible. 

Keep your daughter’s name as “Mafazah” and change or cancel the second name (Anoud).

Mahomed Yasser Yunus Hussen

Mozambique

ش