Fatwa: # 41103
Category: Misc. Fiqh
Country: India
Date: 19th September 2018


Can a woman stay with her impotent husband out her own will?



I got married 2 months ago and i suffer from weak erections and pre mature ejaculations so was unable to penetrate up till now

I got all my tests done (allopathic) they say i suffer from psychological impotence

My wife is very cooperative and we both lied to our own parents that we are fit

I reached to unani hakeem he asked me to undertake 4 months course

My wife insists to stay with me for whole life even if am not cured after 4 months

My question is can woman stay with her impotent husband  on her wish

I want to divorce her as that would be better so that she can get better husband 

None the less shall i inform my parents now or take 4 month course am inform ..

jazakallah khair


In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.

As-salāmu ‘alaykum wa-rahmatullāhi wa-barakātuh.

May Allah Ta’ala grant you complete shifaa from your condition. Ameen.

Physical intimacy is a right of both, husband and wife equally. If one is unable to satisfy the needs of his wife, she could apply for annulment of marriage.[1] However, if the wife is willing to forego her right, then she may do so.[2] 

There is no ruling as to when you should inform your parents. This would depend on their nature. If it would cause an adverse reaction then ideally you should inform them only if and when necessary. However if you feel they would be supportive through the procedure then you can inform them and take their duas as well.


And Allah Ta’āla Knows Best

Aboobakr Siddeeq bin Mufti Amjad Mohammad

Student Darul Iftaa

Azaadville, JHB, South Africa

Checked and Approved by,
Mufti Ebrahim Desai.

[1]  البحر الرائق شرح كنز الدقائق - (4 / 133)

وَأَمَّا عِنْدَ الْفُقَهَاءِ فَهُوَ من لَا يَصِلُ إلَى النِّسَاءِ مع قِيَامِ الْآلَةِ لِمَرَضٍ بِهِ وَإِنْ كان يَصِلُ إلَى الثَّيِّبِ دُونَ الْبِكْرِ أو إلَى بَعْضِ النِّسَاءِ دُونَ بَعْضٍ سَوَاءٌ كانت آلَتُهُ تَقُومُ أو لَا كما في الْعِنَايَةِ وَلِذَا قال في شَرْحِ الْمَنْظُومَةِ الشَّكَّازُ بِفَتْحِ الْمُعْجَمَةِ وَكَافٍ مُشَدَّدَةٍ وَبَعْدَ الْأَلْفِ زَايٌ هو الذي إذَا جَذَبَ الْمَرْأَةَ أَنْزَلَ قبل أَنْ يُخَالِطَهَا ثُمَّ لَا تَنْتَشِرُ آلَتُهُ بَعْدَ ذلك لِجِمَاعِهَا وهو من قَبِيلِ الْعِنِّينِ لها الْمُطَالَبَةُ بِالتَّفْرِيقِ

الجامع الصغير - عبد الحي اللكنوي - (1 / 241)

 محمد عن يعقوب عن أبى حنيفة ( رضى الله عنهم ) : عنين أجل سنة

الجوهرة النيرة - (4 / 63)

 ( فَإِنْ كَانَ عِنِّينًا أَجَّلَهُ الْحَاكِمُ حَوْلًا كَامِلًا فَإِنْ وَصَلَ إلَيْهَا وَإِلَّا فَرَّقَ الْحَاكِمُ بَيْنَهُمَا إنْ طَلَبَتْ الْمَرْأَةُ ذَلِكَ )

اللباب في شرح الكتاب - (1 / 260)

(وإن كان) الزوج (عنينا) وهو: من لا يصل إلى النساء، أو يصل إلى الثيب دون الأبكار، أو يصل إلى بعض النساء دون بعض، فهو عنين في حق من لا يصل إليها، فإذا رفعته إلى الحاكم (أجله الحاكم) المولى (حولا) تاما؛ لاشتماله على الفصول الأربعة

المحيط البرهاني للإمام برهان الدين ابن مازة - (3 / 352)

وإن شاءت خاصمته عند القاضي وطلبت الفرقة، فإن خاصمته فالقاضي يؤجله سنة وتعتبر السنة عند أكثر المشايخ بالأيام، وهو رواية ابن سماعة عن محمد رحمه الله، وعليه الفتوى،


[2]  البحر الرائق شرح كنز الدقائق - (4 / 136)

 ( وَإِنْ اخْتَارَتْهُ بَطَلَ حَقُّهَا ) أَطْلَقَهُ فَشَمِلَ الِاخْتِيَارَ حَقِيقَةً وَحُكْمًا كما إذَا قَامَتْ من مَجْلِسِهَا أو أَقَامَهَا أَعْوَانُ الْقَاضِي قبل أَنْ تَخْتَارَ شيئا أو قام الْقَاضِي قبل أَنْ تَخْتَارَ لِإِمْكَانِ أَنْ تَخْتَارَ مع الْقِيَامِ وَعَلَيْهِ الْفَتْوَى كَذَا في الْمُحِيطِ وَالْوَاقِعَاتِ

الجامع الصغير - عبد الحي اللكنوي - (1 / 241)

وإن اختارته لم يكن لها بعد ذلك خيار

الجوهرة النيرة - (4 / 65)

فَإِنْ قَالَتْ قَدْ رَضِيتُ بَطَلَ خِيَارُهَا ؛ لِأَنَّ هَذَا تَصْرِيحٌ بِالْإِسْقَاطِ

العناية شرح الهداية - (6 / 84)

( فإن اختارت زوجها لم يكن لها بعد ذلك خيار ) لأنها رضيت ببطلان حقها

المحيط البرهاني للإمام برهان الدين ابن مازة - (3 / 353)

 وإذا وجدت زوجها عنيناً وأخرت المرافعة إلى القاضي لا يسقط حقها ما لم تقل: رضيت بالمقام معه (فيسقط) حقها.

المحيط البرهاني للإمام برهان الدين ابن مازة - (3 / 352)

إذا وجدت المرأة زوجها عنيناً، فلها الخيار إن شاءت أقامت معه كذلك،


DISCLAIMER - AskImam.org questions
AskImam.org answers issues pertaining to Shar'ah. Thereafter, these questions and answers are placed for public view on www.askimam.org for educational purposes. However, many of these answers are unique to a particular scenario and cannot be taken as a basis to establish a ruling in another situation or another environment. Askimam.org bears no responsibility with regards to these questions being used out of their intended context.
  • The Shar's ruling herein given is based specifically on the question posed and should be read in conjunction with the question.
  • AskImam.org bears no responsibility to any party who may or may not act on this answer and is being hereby exempted from loss or damage howsoever caused.
  • This answer may not be used as evidence in any Court of Law without prior written consent of AskImam.org.
  • Any or all links provided in our emails, answers and articles are restricted to the specific material being cited. Such referencing should not be taken as an endorsement of other contents of that website.
The Messenger of Allah said, "When Allah wishes good for someone, He bestows upon him the understanding of Deen."
[Al-Bukhari and Muslim]