Asked Country: Saudi Arabia

Title: Who should be employed for a post in the government?

Question

What is the islamic Sharia ruling for a non-Muslim to hold government post/position in a Muslim country like Pakistan in the following conditions A muslim replacement/substitue of that post/position is available A muslim replacement/substitue of that post/position is NOT available A muslim replacement/substitue of that post/position is available but is not better than the non-muslim in that field/department. So the muslim available for that position is good but the non-muslim is better than him in terms of experience, education, etc So, for example I am a muslim and I am working on a government position that have the authority to hire someone under me. I have the option to hire anyone for that position muslim or non-muslim. I am looking to hire the best in the field for my country Who should I hire, a muslim or a non-muslim. How it was dealt with in the era of Sahabah (Hedret Abu Backar RA, Omar RA, Osman RA and Ali RA) Please shed the light in the reference of Quran and Hadith and it would be great if you can put the reference Quran and Hadith in your answer. JezakAllahu Khairan Ahsan el Jeza'

Answer

You enquire about a non-muslim holding a government post in a muslim country.

In the example, you refer to hiring muslims or non-muslims under the government position. We are not exactly sure what position you are referring to. However, there are two issues to consider;

I.          Religion.

II.          Skills and expertise.

Almighty Allah says in the Qur`an;

{وَشَاوِرْهُمْ فِي الْأَمْرِ} [آل عمران: 159]

“And seek counsel from them in the matter” (Sura Ali Imraan).

You should seek the counsel of Allah conscious and upright people who have insight on government and administration related issues and decide according to your Allah consciousness.