Title: insurance

Question

Assalamualaikum respected ulama e kiraam.

I recently bought a new vehicle and as per Indian law I had to buy Insurance at the time of buying it. As a package I receive 5yrs warranty and 3 yrs Insurance ( I cannot choose the type of Insurance, dealer has packages pre-decided).

I had an accident a week back, nearly just 4months from buying the bike with insurance. On inquiring with local Mufti Sahab, he decreed that because my insurance was with the initial package bought from dealer, the claim of repairs from insurance will be halal. But in future, if I take an insurance after this initial insurance term ends, then it will involve Gharar and will be haram.

My question is, can I claim repairs with this initial insurance taken while buying bike or is that also considered conventional insurance and is haram for more than the premium paid?

Jazakallahu khair for your time hazraat.

Answer

We commend you on your sensitivity to conform to the laws of Shariah.

Kindly provide the following details:

1. Invoice
  2. Is this a comprehensive insurance or third party insurance
  3. What do you mean by “As a package I receive 5yrs warranty and 3 yrs Insurance”?  Did you pay extra for this package than the regular bike price?
  4. Does the dealer provide free insurance?

You may forward us the above details to admin@daruliftaa.net Ref: Anas for our observations and advice.

Anas Sharieff Qasmi.

Hyderabad, India.