Title: Testicular biopsy for Klinefelter Syndrome

Question

Dear Mufti.

As a person who is afflicted with Klinefelter syndrome.

It's is a syndrome from birth and the main effect is infertility.

But with the aid of technology some patients (around 50 percent) are able to father children. As it cannot help those who do not have testicular sperm.

So my question will it be permissable to undergo a testicular biopsy to check if I have testicular sperm before marriage (I am not yet married)? As it will require me to masturbate and uncover my private parts.

I do not want to be a means of destroying a girls life

Jazakallah

Answer

We make du’aa that Allaah Ta’aala grants you the courage to overcome your health related challenges.

Klinefelter syndrome is a chromosomal condition that effects male physical and cognitive development. The primary features are infertility and small testicles[1].

It will be permissible for you to undergo a testicular biopsy. You will be excused to do the above mentioned things due to medical reasons[2].

[2] الأشباه والنظائر لابن نجيم (ص: 73)

الضَّرُورَاتُ تُبِيحُ الْمَحْظُورَاتِ

التجريد للقدوري (12/ 6121) 

أن المعالجة ليست بواجبة وإن جاز كشف العورة لأجلها.