Title: Reciting verses in English in Salah

Question

Asalm alykum dear Imam I am about the age of 17 years old and I can't seem to memorize the verses that are required in the prayer in Arabic I have tried hard already but I just can't remember Arabic my question is that can I pray in English instead ? Can I remember the translations of verses that are required in the namaz for example surah fatiah etc because I don't wanna Miss out more prayers ND gain more sin just because I can't memorie Arabic language i hope you understand my situation 

Answer

At the outset, we commend you for your sensitivity on striving to follow the commandments of Allah Ta’ala. 

Kindly clarify how many surahs and verses have you memorized? Have you memorized the last 3 Surahs?

It should be borne in mind that one is not required to recite more than 3 short verses after Surah Fatihah in Salah, Surahs such as Al-Ikhlas (Qul Huwallahu Ahad) will suffice.[1]

You may revert to us with further details at admin@daruliftaa.net ref. Abdullah Sajid.

Abdullah Syed Sajid

Houston, TX, USA 

منية المصلي وغنية المبتدي (ص: 126) [1]

فَالفَرْضُ قَرَاءَةُ آيَةٍ وَاحِدَةٍ، وَإِنْ كَانَتْ قَصِيْرَةً نَحْوَ قَوْلِهِ تَعَالَى: { ثُم نظر } ، وَهَذَا عِنْدَ أَبِي حَنِيْفَةَ، وَعِنْدَهُمَا ثَلاثُ آيَاتٍ قَصِارٍ أَوْ آيَةٍ طَوِيْلَةٍ