Asked Country: Australia

Title: I need some advice on putting on the Hijab

Question

Asalamualaikum I need some advice on putting on the hijab. I am 40 years old living in Australia. I had been a practicing Muslim at young age and unfortunately dunya took over and I was very distanced from Islam for many years. Alhamdulilah I am back to praying and trying to listen to a lot of lectures and reading Quran translation. It almost feels like I am reverting back to Islam and it all makes me very emotional. I have been very serious about putting on the hijab in the last month, but I have a court appearance regarding an injury compensation matter at the end of September. My husband, friends and family are advising me to wait another month as I could be treated differently by lawyers/judges because of the hijab. They are telling me if you haven’t worn hijab all your life you can wait another month, but I feel like I am making a sin by putting a very important Allah’s requirement on hold for compensation reasons. It was actually my injury and the pain that brought me back to Islam after 2 years of suffering. At first I was angry and asked Allah why me? I am in a lot of pain and Alhamdulilah I believe it was a reason for me to come back to Allah. I have lost my job and can not work, I also need help and care at home most days. Now back to my question, will I be doing a sin waiting another month? I feel like by putting on the Highway jab I may get more reward from Allah and even do well in court but at the same time I am worried and scared of them being racist against me. Please help! Jazakallah Khairan

Answer

If by hijab, you mean covering the hair of your head, then it is fardh upon you to cover your hair. You should adhere to hijab immediately.

Australia is a democratic country that allows freedom of religion. You should practise on your religious right of covering yourself. Do not withhold the hijab due to the fear of being discriminated. If you feel violated due to adhering to hijab, you have recourse to address that.

Mizanur Rahman

UK