Fatwa#: 40888
Asked Country: Switzerland

Answered Date: Aug 03,2018

Title: Khula without the consent of the husband


Assalam Alikum wa RahmatUllahi wa Barakatuh , I would like your guidance according to Shariah in the below mentioned situation : My Nikah took place about 5-6 years ago without ruhksati taking place. The girl without my Nikah took place was then a student of medicine (MBBS). My inlaws hold a secular oriented view and didn’t appreciate my adherence to physical Sunnah such clothings , turban etc. With time they (my inlaws) distanced themselves from me and eventually refusing completely to make Rukhsati. The reason they gave (though false) were , that the girl is incapable of having children and fulfilling martial duties. We tried to reason with them for 5-6 years, eventually giving up hope and doing Nikah somewhere else (whilst the first Nikah still being intact). Now my first inlaws have filed for Khula’ (in Pakistan’s family court), without my agreement. 1. Is the Khula’ given in non such courts without agreement of the Husband accepted in Shariah ? 2. Will the marriage (Nikah) of the girl to someone else who attained such form of Khula’ be valid ? 3. I am willing to fulfill the marriage & not issue Talaq but they still want to opt for Khula’ . What should I do according to Shariah in such scenario ? . JazakAllahu Khairn


In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.

As-salāmu ‘alaykum wa-rahmatullāhi wa-barakātuh.

Muhtaram brother,

May Allah Taalah keep you steadfast on Sunnah and grant you the ability to practice on Sunnah in all aspects of your life.

In principle, a Khula is valid only if the husband agrees to the Khula. If the husband does not agree to the Khula, the Khula will not be valid. [1]

Our advise to you is to practice on the injunction of Shariah.

Allah Taalah says:

الطَّلَاقُ مَرَّتَانِ فَإِمْسَاكٌ بِمَعْرُوفٍ أَوْ تَسْرِيحٌ بِإِحْسَانٍ

Translation: Divorce (after which a husband can take his wife back without contracting a new marriage) is (pronounced) twice (clearly) after which (the woman) is either retained in good faith (without harming her) or released (from marriage) in kindness.

(Surah Al-Baqarah, Aayah 229)

It is clear that your wife does not want to live with you. There is no point in pursuing the marriage with her.

Follow the injunction of Shariah and practice on تَسْرِيحٌ بِإِحْسَانٍ (release with kindness). In doing so, you will be practicing on Shariah and Sunnah.


And Allah Ta’āla Knows Best

Muhammad I.V Patel

Student Darul Iftaa
Lusaka, Zambia

Checked and Approved by,
Mufti Ebrahim Desai.


الدر المختار وحاشية ابن عابدين (رد المحتار) -فرفور (10/ 66) [1]

(قوله: وشرطه كالطلاق) وهو أهلية الزوج وكون المرأة محلا للطلاق منجزا، أو معلقا على الملك. وأما ركنه فهو كما في البدائع: إذا كان بعوض الإيجاب والقبول لأنه عقد على الطلاق بعوض، فلا تقع الفرقة، ولا يستحق العوض بدون القبول، بخلاف ما إذا قال خالعتك ولم يذكر العوض ونوى الطلاق فإنه يقع وإن لم تقبل لأنه طلاق بلا عوض فلا يفتقر إلى القبول


بدائع الصنائع (3/ 229)

و أما ركنه فهو الإيجاب و القبول لأنه عقد على الطلاق بعوض فلا تقع الفرقة و لا يستحق العوض بدون القبول بخلاف النوع الأول فإنه إذا قال : خالعتك و لم يذكر العوض و نوى الطلاق فإنه يقع الطلاق عليها سواء قبلت أو لم تقبل لأن ذلك طلاق بغير عوض فلا يفتقر إلى القبول و حضرة السلطان ليست بشرط لجواز الخلع عند عامة العلماء فيجوز عند غير السلطان


التاتارخانية ، جلد5 ص5

الخلع عقد يفتقر إلى الإيجاب و القبول يثبت الفرقة و يستحق عليه العوض


المحيط البرهاني في الفقه النعماني (5/ 59)

ومن جانب المرأة تعتبر بالإيجاب والقبول كما في باب البيع حتّى إنّه إذا كانت البداية من جانب الزوج، فقامت عن المجلس قبل القبول يبطل الإيجاب، وإن كانت البداية من جانب المرأة بأن قالت له اخلعني على كذا، صحّ رجوعها قبل قبوله ويبطل بقيامها عن المجلس وبقيامه ولا يتوقف حال غيبة الزوج، ولا يجوز التعليق منها بشرط، ولا إضافة إلى وقت وقدّم الفرق من الجانبين قبل هذا


آپ کے مسائل اور ان کا حال جلد6  صفحہ 655


DISCLAIMER - questions answers issues pertaining to Shar'ah. Thereafter, these questions and answers are placed for public view on for educational purposes. However, many of these answers are unique to a particular scenario and cannot be taken as a basis to establish a ruling in another situation or another environment. bears no responsibility with regards to these questions being used out of their intended context.
  • The Shar's ruling herein given is based specifically on the question posed and should be read in conjunction with the question.
  • bears no responsibility to any party who may or may not act on this answer and is being hereby exempted from loss or damage howsoever caused.
  • This answer may not be used as evidence in any Court of Law without prior written consent of
  • Any or all links provided in our emails, answers and articles are restricted to the specific material being cited. Such referencing should not be taken as an endorsement of other contents of that website.