Asked Country: Egypt

Title: Videogames

Question

Assalamualaikum I have a questions regarding videogames but before going straight to my questions. I alhamdulila started getting closer to my religion recently so I started avoiding Tv and music. However sometimes I feel bored I wanna do soemething entertaining that is halal, so I stumbled upon videogames, although many videogames have haram things such as nudity and music, I found a strategy game that doesnt have any of those, so I bought it but the issue is in the game there is a skill you unlock called raise dead orcs/monsters whereby when you are fighting with your team of monsters and if you kill enemy monsters and revive them so they can be your allies. Is the game haram because of reviving and does it count if orcs/monsters dont exist in real life. JazakAllahu Khairan

Answer

Brother in Islaam,

Your desire to strengthen your connection with Allaah Ta’aala is praiseworthy. We pray that He grants you the ability to maintain this connection and remain steadfast upon Deen.

We are not aware of the contents of the particular game in reference. However, it is apparent from your query that there are pictures of animate objects in the videogame. Moreover, it also appears that there is killing and violence in the game. Accordingly, such games should be avoided. Apart from spiritual harm, such games may have psychological and social implications.

We advise you to adopt other means of entertainment which are in line with the teachings of Shar’iah. The mode of entertainment you adopt should be free from all haraam elements and it should not interfere with your worship and duties.

And Allaah Ta’aala Knows Best

Ibn al-Fawz

United States of America