Country: Saudi Arabia
Date: 1st March 2019

Dream that deceased father is not well

Question

Assalamu Alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu My father passed away almost 2 years back. For the past xouple of months me n my siblings are having dreams that he is not well and that he is sick. I had a dream where i saw my aunt (my fathers sister alive Alhumdulillah ), me and my mother are searching for my father and then my mother was saying in the dream that he has gone for accountability (hisab kitab) and in the background someone was telling me to recite Quran (I couldn’t understand whose voice it was). My sister had a dream that my father was not well and when everyone were attending him they called me to look at him, i came n when I tried to help him, his condition worsened. Please tell me what all these dreams suggest. Pls reply soon. Alhumdulillah we r reciting Quran daily for him.

Answer

We pray that Allaah Ta’aala showers upon your father with His infinite mercy and grace. May Allaah Ta’aala grant him Jannatul Firdaws. Aameen.

The dream in the query may refer to your father requesting his family and beloved ones to do eesaal thawaab (do good and send the thawaab) for him. You are doing the correct thing by reciting the Qur’aan daily and sending the rewards to your father. You should continue doing good deeds and sending them to him. Rasulullaah (Sallallaahu ‘alaihi wasallam) said,

إذا مات الإنسان انقطع عمله إلا من ثلاث: صدقة جارية، وعلم ينتفع به، وولد صالح يدعو له[1]

Translation: “When a person passes away, all his actions come to an end save three: sadaqah jariyah, beneficial knowledge, and a righteous child who prays for him.” (Tirmidhi 1376)

You should strive to be that righteous child mentioned in the above Hadith and be a means of benefit for your father.

Also, seeing a deceased person in one’s dream is a reminder of death. One should prepare for death prior to it coming to him.

_________

[1] سنن الترمذي (3/ 652)

1376 - حدثنا علي بن حجر قال: أخبرنا إسماعيل بن جعفر، عن العلاء بن عبد الرحمن، عن أبيه، عن أبي هريرة، أن رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم قال: " إذا مات الإنسان انقطع عمله إلا من ثلاث: صدقة جارية، وعلم ينتفع به، وولد صالح يدعو له ": هذا حديث حسن صحيح