Answered Date: Jul 21,2018

Title: Can I enter Makkah without entering in to the state of Ihraam fearing my menstruation commencing?

Question

Asalamoalaikum,

My family (including me) is planning to do umrah in the last few days of Ramadan. All bookings have already been done. I am breastfeeding my daughter and unexpectedly my menses have not started on time. Is it possible for me to accompany my family to Makkah but without the niyat of umrah, in case I have menses during those few days. That is, is it possible that I go to Makkah but not wear ehram or do umrah?

Answer

In principle, a person who lives outside the Meeqaat (أفاقي) and intends to visit Makkah Mukarramah is not allowed to pass the Meeqaat except in the state of Ihraam[1].

Accordingly, you are obligated to enter in the state of ihraam if you wish to visit Makkah Mukarramah. If you go to Makkah Mukarramah without being in the state of ihraam, you will have to give a Damm (penalty) which is to sacrifice a goat or sheep in the Haram area for passing the Meeqaat without ihraam.

And Allaah Ta’aala Knows Best

Muhammed Al-Ameen Bin Moulana Ismail Akoo

Newcastle; KZN, South Africa

[1]

تحفة الفقهاء\باب الاحرام

ج1\ص 393 (دار الكتب العلمية)

وَهِي مَوَاقِيت بَينهَا رَسُول الله صلى الله عَلَيْهِ وَسلم تَعْظِيمًا للبيت حَتَّى لَا يجوز للآفاقي التجاوز عَن هَذِه الْمَوَاقِيت لدُخُول مَكَّة لقصد الْحَج أَو للتِّجَارَة وَنَحْوهَا إِلَّا محرما

شرح مختصر الطحاوي\باب المواقيت

ج 2\ص 513 (دار البشار الاسلامية)

فتاوى دار العلوم زكريا\كتاب الحج