Asked Country: Russian Federation

Title: Can I keep a trolley which my children brought home?

Question

assalamualaikum

in our area many people shop and walk back home abandoning the shopping trolleys next to the garbage can. many shops have their names and numbers printed on rhe trolleys others dont. my kids brought in a trolley to use and play. it doesn't have the name on it. its hard for me to find out which shop it belonged to.its useful and i wish to keep it if there is any way..or should i send it back to the garbage can where it was found. 

Answer

The trolleys are offered to assist the shoppers to load and carry their purchased items. The trolleys are not meant to be given away. You should return the trolley to the garbage cans.[1]

[1]

{إِنَّ اللَّهَ يَأْمُرُكُمْ أَنْ تُؤَدُّوا الْأَمَانَاتِ إِلَى أَهْلِهَا } [النساء: 58]

مسند أحمد ط الرسالة (34/ 299)

إِنَّهُ لَا يَحِلُّ مَالُ امْرِئٍ إِلَّا بِطِيبِ نَفْسٍ مِنْهُ،