Category: Business Matters
Fatwa#: 40446
Asked Country: United Arab Emirates

Answered Date: Jul 27,2018

Title: What should I do if an item which is in my possession but not mine?


As salamu alaikum

I bought something from an online store. They promised 

To deliver the item within 30-45days. The parcel didn't

Arrive so I demanded and a refund. And the seller paid in full

After a weeks the parcel arrived and I wanted to payback

For the item. But I couldn't track down the seller. I tried my best.

What do I do now? Is there a sin on me or any way I can makeup

For this? Is it halal to use the item without paying for it?

What should I do? Please help


In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, The Most Merciful.

As-salaamu `alaykum wa-ramatullahi wa-barakatuh.

You mention that you cannot locate the seller. In that case, we advise you to give the item in sadaqa.[1] 

And Allah Ta`ala Knows Best.

Hussein Muhammad.

Student Darul Iftaa

Arusha, Tanzania

Checked and Approved by:

Mufti Ebrahim Desai.


المحيط البرهاني في الفقه النعماني (5/ 438)

 وإن شاء تصدق بها على أن يكون الثواب لصاحبها، وإن شاء باعها، وإن لم يكن دراهم أو دنانير، وأمسك ثمنها، فإن تصدق وحضر صاحبها فله الخيار؛ إن شاء بعد التصدق والثواب له


البحر الرائق شرح كنز الدقائق ومنحة الخالق وتكملة الطوري (5/ 165)

ثم هو بالخيار إن شاء أدام الحفظ وإن شاء تصدق على أن يكون

الثواب لصاحبها




DISCLAIMER - questions answers issues pertaining to Shar'ah. Thereafter, these questions and answers are placed for public view on for educational purposes. However, many of these answers are unique to a particular scenario and cannot be taken as a basis to establish a ruling in another situation or another environment. bears no responsibility with regards to these questions being used out of their intended context.
  • The Shar's ruling herein given is based specifically on the question posed and should be read in conjunction with the question.
  • bears no responsibility to any party who may or may not act on this answer and is being hereby exempted from loss or damage howsoever caused.
  • This answer may not be used as evidence in any Court of Law without prior written consent of
  • Any or all links provided in our emails, answers and articles are restricted to the specific material being cited. Such referencing should not be taken as an endorsement of other contents of that website.